billing premium domains

snake

I use ENOM domain registrar, and have just discovered that there is an issue with renewing domains which are considered premium, they have to be done manually.

Not only do they not renew, but it turns out the renewal price is not the standard TLD price either, and could be literally anything from $hundreds , depending how how enom values the domain.

How are other people dealing with this, as obviously WHMCS charges a set price for each TLD regardless and doesn't take into consideration whether or not it is a premium domain. Obviously I don;t want to be charging my clients standard rates for their abc.net domain renewals if enom are potentially going to be charging my $hundreds or $thousands. Obviously this has not happened yet, but looking through my domain list I do have customers with short 3-5 letter domain, so I am probably being charged more for those renewals than I am charging the client.

I'm not a big fan of eNom - I recommend anyone else but them. The top level domains, are definitely not going to be priced the same as fancy level (premium) domains. They shouldn't have to be renewed manually, perhaps double-check your eNom account funds. I once forgot to setup auto-deposit for my domain reigstrar and had that problem.

Did you already look over the docs? https://docs.whmcs.com/Domain_Pricing and also https://docs.whmcs.com/Premium_Domains

My understanding is that you set all pricing on that page... this includes renewal pricing. The domain length doesn't much matter. A client with a 1 letter .com domain is being charged the same as the dude with a 50 letter .com domain. Mostly, the premium domains that other people buy and resell are the reasons behind people getting charged 100s or even 1000s a year in renewal fees.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Second-level_domain

To become premium, the owner will use a marketplace service like Afternic to set a price and list the domain. Potential buyers can then either go directly to the marketplace to browse available premium domains or will see these in results when searching a domain provider.

I was investigating this when I had a couple of domain fail to renew with an error of "CustomerSuppliedPrice is invalid or missing"
I found another post on this community where whmcs staff have stated this is because they are premium domains, and you have to renew them manually.

This is obviously a new thing, as I never had this issue previously. These are not new domains, these are existing domains that were previously able to renew just fine, but now suddenly are considered premium.

Yes I have seen the enom docs, and I contacted enom to confirm.

they are obviously being considered premium because of the length of the domain name, or at least that is the only reason I can see.
There is nothing at the enom side that tells me that any domain name I have is premium, in fact when I renewed the last one manually, it even seemed to renew at the regular tld price. 

• 1 month later...

It seems that there is a lot of confusion and nobody actually understands what premium domains are, including WHMCS. The description on the website is obviously very misleading.

After much back and forth with enom, it was finally established that a premium domain is a domain that is for sale through sedo or afternic.

So this means that WHMCS is incorrectly flagging domain as premium when they are not.