PayPal Payment Not Posted

I have setup a PayPal gateway with the correct API settings.  I setup a test account with a $1.00 invoice.  I logged into the test account name, select the invoice, clicked the Pay Selected.  It sent me to the invoice with the PayPal link at the top right as follows:

Unpaid
PayPal

I clicked on it, it took me to PayPal, I selected the Pay with Credit/Debit card, and paid the invoice.  The payment transaction completed normally and the funds were put into my PayPal account.  However, when it returned me to the billing website, it displayed the invoice which was still showing as 'Unpaid'.  I went back to the Client Area Home Page and the invoice is still showing as unpaid.  

So how do I ensure that if a valid payment is made via PayPal that the invoice will be updated with the payment information including the PayPal Transaction ID?

I checked the gateway log and this is what it has (NOTE: I have replace some private data with 'XXXXX'):

mc_gross => 1.00
protection_eligibility => Ineligible
payer_id => XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
tax => 0.00
payment_date => 10:53:08 Feb 03, 2018 PST
payment_status => Completed
charset => windows-1252
first_name => Lucius
mc_fee => 0.33
notify_version => 3.8
custom => 204253
payer_status => unverified
business => webbering@gmail.com
quantity => 1
verify_sign => AfspwrgT-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.9LYz3Ytc5
payer_email => lukedouglas@gmail.com
txn_id => XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
payment_type => instant
last_name => Douglas
receiver_email => webbering@gmail.com
payment_fee => 0.33
shipping_discount => 0.00
receiver_id => XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
insurance_amount => 0.00
txn_type => web_accept
item_name => Webbering - Invoice #204253
discount => 0.00
mc_currency => USD
item_number => 
residence_country => US
receipt_id => 0142-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX-1841
shipping_method => Default
transaction_subject => 
payment_gross => 1.00
ipn_track_id => XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

@LukeDouglas do you have your IPN Notification settings enabled?

For PayPal invoices to be automatically marked paid when you receive a payment you need to enable IPN inside your PayPal account. This is done in the My Account > Profile > My Selling Preferences > Instant payment notifications. It's not important what URL you use so set it to your system url eg. http://www.yourdomain.com/whmcspath/ Then select the "Enabled" option.

Chris,

Thanks...That was the issue.  Once I set that, it immediately marked the invoice as paid upon payment completion and it did return to the invoice showing it was paid.

Now, on to setting up automatic payments.  Is there a way to have the invoice automatically paid when it is generated by the nightly cron job?

Edited by LukeDouglas

Glad to hear that it's sorted @LukeDouglas

Yes, PayPal support subscription https://docs.whmcs.com/PayPal#PayPal_Subscriptions.2FRecurring_Billing below is the doc extract for you to be aware of:

Unless disabled in the PayPal gateway config, when a user views an invoice for a recurring product or service they will be shown a PayPal Subscribe button. This allows the user to subscribe so that their payment for that product or service is sent to you automatically each month/quarter/etc... and automatically applied to the appropriate renewal invoices by WHMCS.

There are three conditions that must be met for the PayPal subscribe button to appear:

1. The invoice's Due Date must be in the future
  2. The invoice must contain at least 1 recurring product (ie. domains, billable items or addons on their own won't create subscriptions)
  3. The 'Force One Time Payments' option is UNticked on the payment gateway configuration page.

If an invoice contains both a product, and addons or domains, then any which match the products billing cycle will also be included as part of the subscription. For example, if an invoice contained a product, an addon & a domain, all of which recur on an annual basis, then the PayPal subscription that gets created by WHMCS would be for the total amount of all 3 items so that the subscription would cover everything and pay the renewal invoice in full automatically. What isn't possible however is to create a subscription that has different amounts recurring on different recurring terms, ie. $x Monthly + $Y Annually. PayPal doesn't offer an option for that at the current time.

Chris,

Thanks for the prompt response.  I did check and the Force One Time Payments is unchecked as well as the Force Subscriptions is unchecked.  While I would prefer for clients to setup subscriptions, I do want them to have the ability to pay one invoice at a time, at least for the time being. 

So I was going to create a new Product Name and clicked Continued, I get a complete blank page now.  Note this was after the activation of the SSL but I commented out the SSL redirect and tried as HTTP but got the same results.  The URL is https://www.webbering.com/billing/XXXXXXXX/configproducts.php?action=edit&id=26 (note the XXXXXXX is the custom admin folder.  It's been a few months since I actually added a new product so I really don't know if this is something current or been an undiscovered issue.

Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, LukeDouglas said:

Can anyone help?

One issue that you might want to take a look at is your choice of template... you seem to be running WHMCS v7+, but still using the "Portal" template... except Portal was deprecated in the middle of 2015 and hasn't received any updates since.

https://docs.whmcs.com/Version_6.0_Release_Notes#Client_Area_Templates

With the release of WHMCS 6.0, we are also deprecating our two oldest client area template themes - classic and portal. As of this release these client area template themes will no longer ship with WHMCS and will receive no further updates. They will continue to remain in the 5.3.x releases until such time as 5.3 reaches End of Life.

We strongly recommend that all new custom themes and templates are built based off the latest current client area template theme six in order to take full advantage of the latest improvements and new functionality.

I would suggest trying it again using the "Six" template and see if it works with that.

Brian,

Thanks for responding.  I guess my biggest issue is that I have been all over the Setup area and cannot find the 'Six' template setting anywhere.  I did a search on the WHMCS for 'template' and all it gave me was the section on how to customize a template.  I found no documentation that indicated how to change the default template.   I did change the Ordering template to 'Boxes' as that indicated it was still supported.  I've never changed the original template as I have used WHMCS just as it was originally installed well over 6-7 years ago. 

If you can tell me how I can change the default template to 'Six' or point me to the documentation link that explains how to do this, I would appreciate it.

6 minutes ago, LukeDouglas said:

I've never changed the original template as I have used WHMCS just as it was originally installed well over 6-7 years ago. 

that can happen if you just update WHMCS... it tends not to remove old files.

7 minutes ago, LukeDouglas said:

I did change the Ordering template to 'Boxes' as that indicated it was still supported.

Boxes is still shipped with WHMCS, but is also deprecated - so it's no longer receiving updates either.

https://docs.whmcs.com/Standard_Order_Form_Templates#Depreciated_Order_Form_Templates

9 minutes ago, LukeDouglas said:

If you can tell me how I can change the default template to 'Six'

go to setup -> general settings -> general and they'll be a dropdown containing all available templates - i'd imagine you'll have a handful in there (Classic, Portal, Five, Six etc), but new releases only get shipped with "Six".

iZ4pvCV.png

btw - the template is there... below is how your cart looks using Six and Standard_cart orderform template... :)

Grzygf6.png