Updating from 6.0 to 6.01 blanked ALL email templates

Yesterday I tried updating from 6.0 to 6.0.1. The install process went ok, but when I checked in Admin ALL of the email templates were blank. I had to roll back to 6.0 to get my email templates back.

Looking at any of the templates showed nothing but a white editor box - viewing the html also showed blank white box - so in effect 6.0.1 had deleted the content of every email template in the system.

While the templates were all blank - the email template titles were all still intact, only the body content had been removed.

To get my system up and running again I had to roll back to 6.0 using my backups.

Is this a known bug that will be addressed in 6.0.2?

Hello,

I have not been able to reproduce this with a full upgrade or a incremental upgrade. The only schema changes we make in 6.0.1 are related to the fixed invoicing module moving into the core of the product. The issue you are describing sounds more like the editor failing to load then it does the template being wiped out. The most frequent cause of this is cached templates and browser cache's.

If anyone gets this error and can open a quick ticket so we can investigate please feel free to PM me the ticket ID so we can make sure to get it addressed rapidly.

Thanks for the report, have a great one,

Nate C

I can second this issue with a new installation and backup of old DB. If I edit an existing mail template, all the text is gone after saving it! Then the template is blank :?:

Only when I edit the message by disabling the RICH text editor, I can save the text successfully. Then again, I loose all formatting..

I am also unable to save a new Global Signature text. All text is gone when I try to.

Hello,

In the ticket it appears that there was a problem with parsing your custom signature which caused the rich text editor not to fully load. You resolved it by using a modern charset within PHP.

Sharing this so other people that have issues can find the results of the investigation.

Have a great day,

Nate C

Did anyone find a resolution to this? I still have 6.0.1 with completely empty email templates. So far I have tried the full 6.0.1 and had to roll back to 6.0 to get my email templates back. Today I have just tried the incremental patch from 6.0 to 6.0.1 and my templates are all blank again.

It must have something to do with the editor used in whmcs - is there a way to replace it with something better?

I have been stuck with blank email templates, knowledgebase articles and Announcements for several days now since upgrading from 6.0 to 6.0.1 - so this first reply from WHMCS Staff has me interested... so can you tell me please, what does "resolved it by using a modern charset within PHP" mean?

Hello HarryWales,

Prior to WHMCS 6.0.0, we allowed users to set a mysql_charset variable which controlled what charset was used to connect between mysql and the application. When none was set the old mysql functions used latin1. In most fresh installs (5.0+) we have been writing mysql_charset = utf8 in the configuration.php when we setup the product. In 6.0.0 we switched the default to utf-8 which is the norm now. In 6.0.1 we restored the functionality to let users set their own charsets in the configuration and changed the default when none is set back to latin1. If your database was mostly written in latin1, then you wrote some changes in utf8, then switched back to latin1, you are going to need to edit the mutlibyte characters.

For other people that may have removed / edited lines in their configuration to use different charsets, you may need to change back to utf8 if that is what you have mostly used.

The right solution really depends a lot of your specific install. That is why I am trying to direct people towards tickets. If you can PM me a ticket ID you have opened, I am happy to help ensure you get a prompt response.

Have a great day,

Nate C

Nate - unfortunately my license belongs to my hosting provider Steve Orrell - and he now has had to take a day job - so am left to fend for myself from Monday to Friday and sometimes weekends too... and am unable to start a ticket myself - I have to ask Steve to do that,,, - but my char set is already utf-8 - always was.