Fluctuating Domain Prices - How to Deal?

CCSupport

Hello all,

I have noticed that the new .dental TLD has different prices for different names - location based it seems! Not premium...not held back or unavailable...or even ones that are on the resale market...just different prices for unregistered domains. It seems they have decided to give different prices on names that have a full city/towns in it! It's crazy! So, for instance, if you try to look at a non-city/town one it will come up with the normal cost (around $41 wholesale with eNom) however you put a town.dental...even a small relatively unknown town and it will be double or triple the cost.

Now...here's the issue...if we have a specific cost for our clients...say $45/$50....then they purchase a .dental with a town in the name the cost to us could be $81 / $120 / $285....we've had all these so far!! Now yes of course we have it so after an order we check before it gets sent to the registrar, however this is ridiculous as we have to check every one and then go back to the client and tell them in essence our price is wrong! grrrrr

So, my question is this....how do we deal with such domains? We offer a specific price for a domain and we really don't want to be going back and forth to clients with price hikes! It really doesn't help the sale of the TLD as we are simply just not going to list them as available to our clients!

Just to note, when doing a search directly on eNom or other main registrar sites the prices do change and are correct. So obviously the eNom module does not pull any costs per domain which we already knew.

Any thoughts?

I have been checking with my personal eNom account and no matter what .dental domain I try it is a flat fee of $41. This includes names that include cities and ones that do not. I have to agree with Marco, you need to discuss with eNom why the price is fluctuating.

There is no default option in WHMCS that will allow you to set a varying price. You can also try the eNom Pro AddOn found here and see if it will manage the prices for you if indeed eNom's price fluctuates.

--Thanks

I have the eNom reseller account through WHMCS.

If I go to eNom.com and search...say oxford.dental or cardiff.dental...both show as $285. If I search isleofwight.dental it comes up as $120. It looks like they have been made premium before release....these were available through Landrush.

Also, just tried Ryde.dental...another small town on the Isle of Wight...that comes up with $85!

Just to note, we use eNom Pro already.

Edited by CCSupport

Now I understand your concerns... Well this is a headache! I just did some queries at enom and this happends with a lot of TLD's.

I can understand that they offer this through their website, but using a registrar module for WHMCS... no, definitely not good. They should return "unavailable" like ResellerClub does and offer such results as "premium" with a separated api call.

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi,

Premium domains cannot be registered through WHMCS, if you try you'll get an error message and the registration will fail. You can then contact the client and let them know there's a surcharge on the domain and if they want to go ahead with it, create a manual invoice and register it directly via your registrar's website.

• 1 month later...
Hi,

Premium domains cannot be registered through WHMCS, if you try you'll get an error message and the registration will fail. You can then contact the client and let them know there's a surcharge on the domain and if they want to go ahead with it, create a manual invoice and register it directly via your registrar's website.

Hi John,

We've spoken to Enom regarding premium domains and they say

"If you are using the eNom API, a CHECK command on the domain name in question should return if it is marked as premium at the registry."

Perhaps a solution would be to have WHMCS obscure the price with a message to get in contact when a domain is returned as premium and not allow it to be added to the cart.