Enom does NOT refund fraudulent domain orders any more

onliner

Hello,

I got that confirmed by Enom support today:

"We are unable to provide deletions and refunds for any domain name registration, regardless of fraud, misspellings, etc."

So it is about to harden MaxMind skills and accept that world is a cruel place :cry:

Cheers.

It's a shame they don't refund fraudulent orders. You need to be careful about allowing new customer's to register domains for multiple years.

I'm not sure if fraudulent orders are common but on my own website I've only had 1 fraudulent domain purchase in 4 years.

...I've only had 1 fraudulent domain purchase in 4 years.

Impressive! :)

I guess you know something we ordinary mortals don't!? I would appreciate if you could point me out in the right direction when it comes to MaxMind settings and or other 'secret' stuff you use?

For me personally, that part, holding out fraudulent orders, is of primary concern.

Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

Or just pre-auth orders from new customers. eNom changed their refund policy years ago...

Yes, that can be a way. However, letting a 'middle of the night' customer waiting 10 hours for a domain to be registered doesn't sound so appealing I guess...

Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

Other provider will, I would not use Enom just for that reason

Will you please give a hint? I've been a long time with Enom, but this issue is one important part of the business which got more attention last time.

Imagine woke up and realize that 50 domains has been fraudulent ordered during the night. That is $600 loss just in one single attack...

Thanks.

Impressive! :)

I guess you know something we ordinary mortals don't!? I would appreciate if you could point me out in the right direction when it comes to MaxMind settings and or other 'secret' stuff you use?

For me personally, that part, holding out fraudulent orders, is of primary concern.

Cheers.

I suppose to get a better idea of how impressive it is we would need to compare domain sales, I could just be lucky as domains isn't a big part of my business.

Also I only offer 1 year registrations which may help reduce risk seeing as if someone is making a fraudulent payment they don't care how many years they select. In many cases I've noticed that most fraudulent orders follow the same trend where they will make the order as expensive as possible. For example I list addons with web hosting and when there is a obvious fraudulent order they tend to select all addons. This is probably their way of tempting you to believe it's genuine.

I would recommend looking out for patterns, the more fraudulent orders you get the better you'll be at stopping them. I do also use Maxmind which while not perfect it blocks the unforgivable orders such as those from a proxy or country miss-match.

...those from a proxy or country miss-match.

I agree with this part. In my book, open proxy sources as commercial VPNs and public proxy's is a big no-no. That cancel order immediately. But here is so many other parameters and variables to take into consideration also.

As long I can't cancel fraudulent domains, I rather use restrictively MaxMind settings. I don't have a problem to issue a refund for fraudulent PayPal order, no harm done.

But as long I risk several hundreds of dollars every night on fraudulent domain orders, I don't see any other way than make more potential clients *issed off by requesting them to upload identifications documents to approve their orders...

Maybe I'll switch registrar. As simple as that.

• 1 month later...
Please excuse my lack of knowledge but why do people register fraudulent domain names?

They use a stolen credit card normally... The first thing they normally do is to upload some scripts to hack into the server.

some just want to send spam email and others try to get access to the server just to create havock and cause problems.