Download files available in Client Area?

jharri

• 6 years later...

@brian! ...before I open a new topic...wanted to double check with you...when a file in the downloads area is updated - say a zip file - is there any way to automatically inform clients of a new version or do I need to do as WHMCS support says and email all clients to let them know of the change; which I think blows.

Thanks,

Moe

Hi Moe,

16 hours ago, marvel451 said:

when a file in the downloads area is updated - say a zip file - is there any way to automatically inform clients of a new version or do I need to do as WHMCS support says and email all clients to let them know of the change; which I think blows.

you're thinking specifically of product or general downloads as opposed to specific client downloads ?

Right...there are 2 areas where downloads are accessible. In support and downloads, that is where you upload the files and then in the the product area you choose where to place them for client access. But Im surprised that I need to contact clients and let them know a new version is available for download...instead of some automation setup. Ive used WHMCS for years but this is new to me...I may have to use another service.

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 11.47.56 AM.png

20 hours ago, marvel451 said:

Right...there are 2 areas where downloads are accessible. In support and downloads, that is where you upload the files and then in the the product area you choose where to place them for client access.

technically, there are 3 if you include client downloads, e.g files uploaded for a specific client...

20 hours ago, marvel451 said:

But I'm surprised that I need to contact clients and let them know a new version is available for download...instead of some automation setup.

the reason I asked was because there is a hook for client uploads, so email notification for specific client downloads wouldn't be difficult to add with that... but that doesn't help your situation.

On 07/04/2020 at 17:33, marvel451 said:

is there any way to automatically inform clients of a new version or do I need to do as WHMCS support says and email all clients to let them know of the change; which I think blows.

it depends what you mean by "inform"... if you're thinking along the lines of an automated email telling them, then I would go along with Support and say that WHMCS can't do that from just admin / automation settings..

I can see ways in which you could inform them on the website, e.g by adding a recently upload files section to the downloads page; or by adding a panel on the homepage showing recently added product downloads files associated with only their active services (so the output is relevant to that user); by implication, you should be able to send an email based on an automation task checking for recent additions to the appropriate database tables...

other alternatives spring to mind too, but to answer your initial question - there's no built-in upload file / inform client solution - it would have to be created dependent upon your needs, e.g what you want to tell a client and when.