Updating UK names since upgrade to 5.2.12

sohouk

Has anyone else noticed a problem with clients updating UK names through Enom*

If the client attempts to make a change through the Client interface at /whmcs/clientarea.php?action=domaincontacts then the changes are not made and an error returns 'registered_for:Not Specified:Required value not specified' **

However, making the change through the Admin interface (Modify Contact Details button) do work.

whmcs/admin/clientsdomaincontacts.php?domainid=nnnnn

I would have expected the same WHMCS code to change the contacts to be used whether it was client or admin but it is clearly not as one works and the other does not.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Trevor

* We have uk. domains registered with a number of different registrars and this error only seems to occur on the Enom platform.

** This particular error message has occurred in the past where names have been imported and the registrants name is missing in WHMCS. On this occasion it is not applicable as I have checked that each name matches the name in the WHOIS

John,

Thanks for the quick response.

Here are two logs where I made the same single change to the record of a UK name after setting debug = on. It seems clear that the output when made from the Client side is being truncated.

Bear in mind this only occurs when attempting a change to an Enom registered UK domain

Trevor

Changes made using the CLIENT interface shows this output

uid=******&pw=******&tld=co.uk&sld=<domain>&command=getcontacts&

The response from Enom is simply a short 'Command completed successfully'

Changes made using the ADMIN interface produce this

uid=******&pw=******&tld=co.uk&sld=domain>&RegistrantFax=&RegistrantPhone=%2B+44.01222222&RegistrantCountry=GB&RegistrantPostalCode=Z10+8BB&RegistrantStateProvince=Lancashire&RegistrantCity=Manchester&RegistrantEmailAddress=myemail%40myemail.com&RegistrantAddress2=2+Hawley+St&RegistrantAddress1=The+Business+Park&RegistrantJobTitle=Director&RegistrantLastName=Smith&RegistrantFirstName=John&RegistrantOrganizationName=&AdminFax=&AdminPhone=%2B44.012222222&AdminCountry=GB&AdminPostalCode=S99+2XX&AdminStateProvince=London&AdminCity=London&AdminEmailAddress=myemail%40outlook.com&AdminAddress2=Chapel+St&AdminAddress1=121+Grange+St&AdminJobTitle=&AdminLastName=Smith&AdminFirstName=John&AdminOrganizationName=&TechFax=&TechPhone=%2B44.02345678&TechCountry=GB&TechPostalCode=JJ4+1AA&TechStateProvince=London&TechCity=London&TechEmailAddress=myemail%40outlook.com&TechAddress2=Chapel+St&TechAddress1=101+Rose+Avenue&TechJobTitle=&TechLastName=Smith&TechFirstName=John&TechOrganizationName=&uk_legal_type=IND&uk_reg_co_no=&registered_for=&EndUserIP=&command=contacts&

The response from Enom in this case is an output of the full domain record.

Edited by sohouk

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi,

I believe this is a restriction of the way eNom manages .uk domains. I believe the following article in their help centre is relevant: https://supportcenter.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/287

You are incorrect. I am also a little annoyed that you decided that rather than investigating your software and performing some rudimentary testing, you preferred to post the same response you did in my ticket to this thread. You have wasted significant time (mine included) shrugging off the issue when this is easily something that could be reproduced in a few minutes, had you bothered to actually take the time to do so. Your support is becoming progressively worse as time goes on. Please drop this ridiculous pessimistic "it must be you/someone else, not the software" attitude and actually test issues we report to you please. That's what we're paying you for after all.

So, to reiterate what I've already informed you in the ticket.... We have, literally JUST NOW, been able to update the contact name and WHOIS details for a .uk domain via the admin section of WHMCS using the 'Modify Contact Details' button/page. This PROVES beyond a doubt that this is NOT an ENOM/API issue, and your software/their API is perfectly capable of allowing you to update .uk domain contact details without needing to navigate to Nominet and enter them into a website manually.

Clients, however, are not able to make these changes to .UK domains via WHMCS and are instead met with the following error message:

"registered_for:Not Specified:Required value not specified"

It seems pretty obvious to me that this is because something is not being passed to ENOM's API and it's returning an error. Clue: It's the part that says "Not Specified". You can confirm this by checking their API and error response codes and it will tell you the same thing.

Test your software, please. You'll get the same behaviour.

I also reported this bug to them a very long time ago, it is a required field not being validated.

The enom reseller portal uses their own API and is equally as unhelpful with errors, and also gives this error without telling you why,

If I recall it occurs when you have the domain set as registered to a company or individual, then then need to specify this field depending on which option you chose.

That makes sense. We've had different errors in different registration situations (Individial, Company) etc. There are far too many bugs and problems with .uk domains and ENOM for this to have been tested properly at all. It's not difficult for them to obtain an ENOM account and run through all likely and possible situations for updating .uk domains, so I can't understand why this hasn't been done. Even the default templates that are shipped with WHMCS are lacking specific and necessary .uk relevant fields. Do they just not care about .uk domains at all?

The key issue here, for me at least, is that WHMCS are claiming the fault lies with ENOM and their API when it doesn't. We all have businesses to run, so I don't see why we (the customers) should be asked to spend significant amounts of our time providing module debug logs and testing their software for them when it's evident it has been poorly tested and designed from the beginning. Are you going to pay us for our time, as you would your software developers (who should have done this correctly in the beginning)?

WHMCS- please review your software for TLD specific configurations. You need to go back to the beginning and work through each TLD to ensure that any specific requirements are handled correctly and not just tacked on when you receive enough complaints and tickets about them. We've been around long enough to see that this is how things have been handled in the past, but now it's just not good enough.