Renewal and Transfer of .AU Domain names

Mucker

See following thread for more details http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?19140-Issues-for-Australian-Domains-renewal-and-transfer&highlight=australian+transfers

Has this been fixed yet or is there an addon that handles Aus transfers and renewals correctly?

It isn't that hard to do and I don't understand why WHMCS haven't implemented it yet. The Australia registry at http://www.auda.org.au/ allows you to query any au domain name and get the expiry date of the domain IF you have the domain password. The WHMCS system would have this if the domain was already registered with them so renewals could be worked out if within the 60 day period.

For .com domains an authentication code is required. The domain password for .au domains could be used in a similar manner; in this case the client who would be transferring the domain would enter their au domain password, ONLY THEN would the price come up because WHMCS could then verify the expiry date and adjust the price accordingly.

What's the problem?

there's nothing to upload...The problem with WHMCS is that it asks for the authenticaion code AFTER you have placed your order, in which case client already thinks the domain is a set price. However, you can't tell if the registry will charge you for the transfer WITHOUT first knowing the auth code.

You can transfer a .com.au domain without renewing it? The two processes are independant.

The process should be:

1. The domain transfers

2. WHMCS updates the expiry date.

3. WHMCS generates invoice for renewal if required.

4. Domain Is renewed.

?

You can transfer a .com.au domain without renewing it? The two processes are independant.

yes you can and that's the problem. If its got 60 days or less to expire the registry charges you for 2 years and extends the domain till then therefore this cost must be passed onto your customer. If however it has more than 60 lefts they do not charge therefore you would charge your client. The problem is that it doesn't WHMCS can detect this and adjust the price accordingly.

Your steps are flawed as in that customers want to know exactly what they will be paying BEFORE putting in an order. In your example you are talking about the invoice; this not the problem. The problem is the quote as in what they think they will be paying IE you can't say the domain transfer is free and then afterwards find u were charged and now pass this back onto the customer.

Actually that's not correct about 60 days or less to expire. Some registrars will renew it but not all. AuDa permit domain transfers up to expiry with the need to renew. .au domains are free to transfer at all times.

Our customers are told that an au domain is transferred for $0 and when the domain is due for renewal we will notify them and invoice it in time for them to decide.

If you registrar is forcing a renewal then you're best speaking with them as that's their own policy.

I see what you mean Damo now that I read the AuDa policy in detail. I am currently with OpenSRS and they renew the domain if it is under 60 days expiry which cause the above problems. Can you advise a registrar which doesn't charge for transfers?

thanks

I see what you mean Damo now that I read the AuDa policy in detail. I am currently with OpenSRS and they renew the domain if it is under 60 days expiry which cause the above problems.

the OpenSRS tld page is possibly contradictory on AU transfers - it says that there is "No charge for transfers; no change to reg period", but does also state that "Registrant transfers (trades) add 2 years to the registration period and incur a charge".

i'm assuming a trade is a change of registrant (ownership) rather than just a change of registrar - it might be an idea to contact opensrs to see why you are always being charged for transfers.