Question : When WHMCS Version 5.2 will be released ?

duperhost

Question

as a potential customer, is 5.2 worth ordering yet - or should I wait a bit longer for an updated fixed version ?? ... someone mentioned on the facebook page there is a updated version of 5.2 coming out 'tonight' (which I assume is daytime in UK).

Edited by brian!

Upgrading is not that hard...

and the quote of the day goes to Bubka3! have you had a look through these forums with members complaining about what happens (or doesn't!) after they've upgraded?!?

what is the point in installing 5.1.4, customising the templates etc when any eventual upgrade (or even a security update) will stop them from working?

at this point, even if it was free I probably wouldn't touch it - to buy an unbranded license will not happen until the software starts working as it should.

it's easier to continue with our existing software for the time being and integrate that in our new site design - WHMCS or another alternative will be looked at in the future.

I waited a week for 5.2 to be released, and then find that it's unstable, bugged and stopping existing sites from working... yeah I really want to buy that software(!) - where do I sign?!?

i'll check the forums again next week to see if there is an updated version available - but I doubt i'll buy WHMCS now.

and the quote of the day goes to Bubka3! have you had a look through these forums with members complaining about what happens (or doesn't!) after they've upgraded?!?

what is the point in installing 5.1.4, customising the templates etc when any eventual upgrade (or even a security update) will stop them from working?

at this point, even if it was free I probably wouldn't touch it - to buy an unbranded license will not happen until the software starts working as it should.

it's easier to continue with our existing software for the time being and integrate that in our new site design - WHMCS or another alternative will be looked at in the future.

I waited a week for 5.2 to be released, and then find that it's unstable, bugged and stopping existing sites from working... yeah I really want to buy that software(!) - where do I sign?!?

i'll check the forums again next week to see if there is an updated version available - but I doubt i'll buy WHMCS now.

Well with this being quite a big update its bound to have some problems / bugs that wasn't found in the beta period. They will eventually be fixed up though, many wait a short while anyway before upgrading because of that.

Which software are you using now instead of WHMCS? Why are you looking to replace it if it works for you?

If you look now you will see that 5.2.2 is released which from what I understand kills the vast majority of issues with 5.2.1. Considering this release came out 48 hours after 5.2.1 that's not a bad reaction time.

As has also been discussed elsewhere on the board, improvements to the beta testing cycle are planned so more real world testing is done before going stable.

The problem with an application like WHMCS is that as it's so widely used there will always be differences in users customisations, platforms etc so there will always be bugs. It's how this is dealt with and 5.2.2 being released so quickly to resolve these issues shows this commitment.

By all means have a look at the alternatives but you will find that there simply aren't any that can hold a light to WHMCS...

Well with this being quite a big update its bound to have some problems / bugs that wasn't found in the beta period. They will eventually be fixed up though, many wait a short while anyway before upgrading because of that.

well i'm not upgrading from an earlier version but starting from new and i've been around long enough to accept that new releases may have an occasional bug, but 5.2 seemingly crippled previously working installations.

Which software are you using now instead of WHMCS? Why are you looking to replace it if it works for you?

it's a combination of two really - a custom written script that handles the online cart and sales and whois.cart for renewal billing - the two aren't integrated together (purposely)... in theory whois.cart could do it all, but doesn't have a native nominet addon and hasn't been updated for years anyway.

the present system works - but I probably need WHMCS (or similar) to move the business on...

if a working version had been released earlier in the week, I would have got it - but it wasn't and now i'll be away for a week, so i'll see what reactions 5.2.2 is getting in the forums, and then decide what to do next Thursday... ideally, i'd like to get the new site up and running by the next tax year, but whether that involves tweaking the existing site or using WHMCS, I don't know.

well i'm not upgrading from an earlier version but starting from new and i've been around long enough to accept that new releases may have an occasional bug, but 5.2 seemingly crippled previously working installations.

it's a combination of two really - a custom written script that handles the online cart and sales and whois.cart for renewal billing - the two aren't integrated together (purposely)... in theory whois.cart could do it all, but doesn't have a native nominet addon and hasn't been updated for years anyway.

the present system works - but I probably need WHMCS (or similar) to move the business on...

if a working version had been released earlier in the week, I would have got it - but it wasn't and now i'll be away for a week, so i'll see what reactions 5.2.2 is getting in the forums, and then decide what to do next Thursday... ideally, i'd like to get the new site up and running by the next tax year, but whether that involves tweaking the existing site or using WHMCS, I don't know.

I'd hope 5.2.2 addresses the majority of the issues people have reported. While 5.2 series has gotten off to a bad start it does seem they are pushing out updates to get it as stable as possible.

Would be nice to see you use WHMCS but either way, good luck with your business.

Would be nice to see you use WHMCS but either way, good luck with your business.

I purchased a license yesterday Alex... and wow it's soooo complicated to setup!! took me 20 minutes just to get it to accept the sql settings!

two immediate things that I should mention for others considering getting a license..

1. if you are in the UK, the prices listed on the site are ex-VAT... so I paid around GBP£40 more than I expected to (didn't notice until I got the pdf invoice!) - I did use the 15% refugee discount which offset most of it (kind of)... the amount is not that important, just annoying that it isn't mentioned.

2. there seems to be a contradiction on the initial installation documentation - http://docs.whmcs.com/Installing_WHMCS

7.When complete, delete the install folder from your web server and CHMOD the configuration.php file back to 644.

that makes sense, but the line below it that tells you to set it to 777... which I don't think is correct.

Required file & folders permissions (unless your php is suPHP or PHPSuExec):

/configuration.php CHMOD 777 Writeable

annoyingly, the whoiscart import script didn't fully work... imported the packages, but crashed after trying to import the domain extensions - so didn't even get to the clients and their domains and hosting accounts!

pretty sure I followed all the steps in the readme, but it's now day 2 on setup fun and i'll return to the initial instructions and check I've done everything correctly.

update - the cpanel/whm import worked fine, but didn't import the clients parked/addon domains from their accounts and I've contacted support about the failing whoiscart import script... but i'll manually start entering the details into WHMCS while I await their response.

Edited by brian!