Login module for whmcs is redirecting to strange location

keefrichards

I've been doing a revamp of my site and I'm uploading the WHMCS directories to the server but now when I enter my details correctly my login is redirecting me to a site I've never seen before. It's deeply concerning.

http://www.1and1.com/?affiliate_id=322774

I hope someone can help me with this. I've lodged a ticket with the support staff but was hoping someone may have had a similar experience and know of a way out. I've not been able to find anything relative to it on the forum boards.

Regards,

keef

• 1 month later...
Hello,

The redirect you're seeing here simply indicates your IP has been banned for repeated failed login attempts and that your system URL hasn't yet been set in Setup > General Settings

If you need assistance, please submit a support ticket.

What they are doing is not stealing traffic from 1&1 but instead attempting to persuade clients to use 1&1's hosting services. The redirect to 1&1 these WHMCS clients are seeing is an affiliate link where as, if one of these clients signs up with 1&1 for their services WHMCS will receive a payout from 1&1.

Are you not the least bit bothered by promoting one of your many client's competitors?

That link is part of 1&1's affiliate program (your affiliate account link with 1&1 "affiliate_id=322774").

I definitely do not agree with this practice and it is nothing less than promoting one of our competitors. This is not a very nice or ethical business practice by WHMCS for sure.

I paid for WHMCS in good faith of your ethical business practices. This is violation of my faith in your business practice/ethics and causes me to wonder what other practices you are using to promote my competition.

Very disappointed,

redham

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi,

I can assure you this is not our doing. The default WHMCS System URL setting is http://yourdomain.com/whmcs/'>http://yourdomain.com/whmcs/ and if you visit http://yourdomain.com/ you'll see you're redirected to the 1&1 website. So this is merely a coincidence...and a money-making scheme by the owner of yourdomain.com (no association of WHMCS Ltd.)

That's both dirty and clever!

You guys are helping him make money, get your cut or cut him off. LOL

Change the dummy tld to include a symbol that isn't allowed in a domain name.

Maybe I need to see what his rate is for redirection. LOL

Knowing 1&1 I won't be able to touch that domain's redirection. Heck, I'll wager that 1&1 owns it! Any takers?

Leave it alone as far as I'm concerned. I get a lot of clients from 1&1 who are small business sites looking for a owner they can actually talk to on the phone.

Sorry guys that solution never occurred to me. Thinking about it now I have done a whois look up on "yourdomain.com" before. Here is the whois. Registered at Godaddy and has nameservers at 1&1. Probably the same company. I don't bother with the "Big Boys". I just suck up their dissatisfied clients.

Again, Sorry,

redham

That's both dirty and clever!

You guys are helping him make money, get your cut or cut him off. LOL

Change the dummy tld to include a symbol that isn't allowed in a domain name.

Hello,

Yourdomain.com is a common reference domain in the WebHosting industry. It helps indicates where new users should be making modifications based on their personal settings. There is no correlation between what yourdomain.com is doing for a placemarker, and WHMCS.