/templates_c/' must be writeable (CHMOD 777) before you can continue.

ameharhughes

Hi Everybody.

I am just installing WHMCS and have been going through and increasing the security and one of the things was to move the templates_c attachments and download folders, I have done this and edited the config php file, but I am getting the following error;

====================================================================================

Permissions Error

The templates compiling directory '/home/whmcs/templates_c/' must be writeable (CHMOD 777) before you can continue.

If the path shown is incorrect, you can update it in the configuration.php file.

====================================================================================

Ive checked the spelling of the folder and in the config file and the path and the permissions, google doesnt have much help on the cause as I just find countless other sites with the same issues, I place the folder back into the root web directory it works fine, if I run ls -lh as root on the server, it comes with this

drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4.0K Jun 13 22:24 attachments

drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4.0K Jun 13 22:24 downloads

drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4.0K Jun 13 22:33 templates_c

so it has the correct permissions, does any body know if I need to change anything? or see what the issue is?

Thanks in advance.

i know exactly what you have done, you have accessed the sites cpanel through your root WHM and then made the changes.

i initially did the same thing.

you need to login to the sites cpanel direct as the client and then make the changes, so you are signed in as the sites user and not as root.

For a linux server, looking at your paths, /home/whmcs/etc etc etc, i would say your user is whmcs? If so thats the ones you need to be using and not root

change user and group in on command

chown username:username /path/to/file/template_c/

or

change user and group seperately

chown username /path/to/templates_c/

chgrp username /path/to/templates_c/

Then Change permission

chmod 777 /path/to/template_c/

On a windows server i guess you may have remote desktop, log into remote, browse to directory and edit permissions as you would any other windozy file. ownership is a bigger issue, and you will be better contacting your support team for this.

My favorite trick is this, the amount of times if wget a file and forgotten to su username is unbelievable

Edited by disgruntled

For a linux server, looking at your paths, /home/whmcs/etc etc etc, i would say your user is whmcs? If so thats the ones you need to be using and not root

change user and group in on command

chown username:username /path/to/file/template_c/

or

change user and group seperately

chown username /path/to/templates_c/

chgrp username /path/to/templates_c/

Then Change permission

chmod 777 /path/to/template_c/

On a windows server i guess you may have remote desktop, log into remote, browse to directory and edit permissions as you would any other windozy file. ownership is a bigger issue, and you will be better contacting your support team for this.

My favorite trick is this, the amount of times if wget a file and forgotten to su username is unbelievable

Its a linux server and the DataCenter is self managed etc, Im sure I can figure out whats wrong :) i also wouldnt use a Windows Server pffft its all about CentOS/Redhat for me :D

also, I created the whmcs folder in /home, so there isnt actually a whmcs user (sorry for the confusion) tbh

Its a linux server and the DataCenter is self managed etc, Im sure I can figure out whats wrong :) i also wouldnt use a Windows Server pffft its all about CentOS/Redhat for me :D

also, I created the whmcs folder in /home, so there isnt actually a whmcs user (sorry for the confusion) tbh

No worries, mine are setup with cpanel i just dont feel all that comfortable managing serves without something graphical.. for that i blame microsoft. none the less at times getting in and getting dirty is the only way. Good luck.

• 10 years later...

This is a very old post, but this issue still perists as the documentation is quite frankly poor. The solution is to replace the path with the FULL path to the file, not just relative from the WHMCS installation directory. 

Incorrect format:

$templates_compiledir = 'new_directory/templates_c';

Correct format: 

$templates_compiledir = '/home/username/public_html/whmcs/new_directory/templates_c';

I hope this helps someone out there!

20 hours ago, DennisHermannsen said:

@SamCybrancee AFAIK, the documentation uses the full path as well.

The images within their docs does show an absolute path, yes. From what I've read, I can't see anywhere that specifies it needing to be absolute.

Confusion would be from the unedited configuration.php file as it does not use an absolute path, so it's an easy assumption to make that it doesn't require it. 

• 5 months later...