Stolen WHMCS DB Spammers - name and shame

PhilB

• WHMCS CEO
they do though seem to use WHMCS... license pull I think :)

Already been done.

We appreciate everyone forwarding us a copy of the spam emails they are receiving - but please can I ask that you don't forward either of the 2 mentioned here anymore as we have enough copies of it! We have already passed them on to both the FBI and UK E-Crime Unit, along with the name & address details held for the licenses of both sites.

Matt

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey people, this is just the beginning!

Go to your WHMCS account and change your email address.

You are going to get way more spam, your email address is now public.

I have always used specific spam email addresses, so most of what I get is crap, but I glance over for anything from a site I recognize.

ALSO, remember, spam is NOT email you do not want, if it if formatted properly with a way to remove you from the list, it is NOT considered spam to those that matter, like spamcop, email providers, etc.

spam is NOT email you do not want, if it if formatted properly with a way to remove you from the list, it is NOT considered spam to those that matter, like spamcop, email providers, etc.

what christmas cracker did you get this from

Spam is exactly email you do not want, just because it has a unsubscribe link at the end does not make it less spam, as spammers sometimes place these links in and what they do if you use it is to inform the spammer that they have hit a llive/active email so they can sell this email to other spammers.

If it is spam then i NEVER use any links even if it says unsubscribe here, i always report to Spamcop and the IP supplier and have had no problems doing this.

Unsolicited Commercial Email ~= spam. If I didn't ask for it, it's spammy. If I have no way to unsubscribe, doubly so - that doesn't mean that mailing lists I *can* unsubscribe from aren't spam.

I got an invite from a FB person called information madness. I have reported them to facebook stating they are using data from the whmcs.com hack. I am not posting links to their profile, as that will create unneeded attention and may have the opposite effect.

I got an invite from a FB person called information madness. I have reported them to facebook stating they are using data from the whmcs.com hack. I am not posting links to their profile, as that will create unneeded attention and may have the opposite effect.

If this person states his website on his FB page, check to see if they actually use WHMCS and if they do report them to Matt.

Why are people calling it a leaked DB? It was not Leaked it was stolen.. A leak is usually a minor escape. This was an all out theft.

We're discussing semantics here, but the original act of obtaining the data was the theft. The subsequent release of that data cannot also be theft - it's already been stolen. At that point it is both stolen and leaked - but only the act of leaking it brought it into the public domain (and into the hands of spammers).

I think it's pretty accepted that "leak" isn't a term limited to small amounts of data (see the US diplomatic cable "leak", or just wikileaks in general).

what christmas cracker did you get this from

Spam is exactly email you do not want, just because it has a unsubscribe link at the end does not make it less spam, as spammers sometimes place these links in and what they do if you use it is to inform the spammer that they have hit a llive/active email so they can sell this email to other spammers.

If it is spam then i NEVER use any links even if it says unsubscribe here, i always report to Spamcop and the IP supplier and have had no problems doing this.

I got this from the legislation that your email or upline provider have to follow, you can report anyone for any reason you want. it does not mean that any action will be taken.

As for the possession of the files, if something is considered stolen, any one in possession of said item is committing a crime. this is true in many countries, what may not apply in some countries is data or files may or may not be properly classified as an item that can be stolen yet.

I got this from the legislation that your email or upline provider have to follow, you can report anyone for any reason you want. it does not mean that any action will be taken.

As for the possession of the files, if something is considered stolen, any one in possession of said item is committing a crime. this is true in many countries, what may not apply in some countries is data or files may or may not be properly classified as an item that can be stolen yet.

In Canada any unsolicited phone or email message for a business purpose is spam, and you can be subject to significant fees if you solicit from a phone number on the national "Do Not Call" list.

In Canada any unsolicited phone or email message for a business purpose is spam, and you can be subject to significant fees if you solicit from a phone number on the national "Do Not Call" list.

This is the same in the UK and also in the USA where they have the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003

Hi and scuze for poor english .

Yes it was spam ... but i have a question ( lol just a little question )

Where is it possible to have à module for payement by Hipay ?

If you have an answer, a solution , Thanks

Why are people calling it a leaked DB? It was not Leaked it was stolen..

It was stolen, then leaked. Leak means to release publicly, regardless of to what extent.

Interesting thing to note, those that pirate software cite that it's not theft since they leave the original in tact that others can access. In this case, it's theft, even though they left the original...

and Matts seems to be taking action against WHMCS members who have been spamming using this data by revoking their licences

Well, he should, you're basically trying to have your cake and eat it too, by using data stolen from the people you get your billing soft from. It would be like robbing the bank, and then going to the same bank and legitimately expecting them to deposit the money in your account.

We're discussing semantics here, but the original act of obtaining the data was the theft. The subsequent release of that data cannot also be theft - it's already been stolen. At that point it is both stolen and leaked - but only the act of leaking it brought it into the public domain (and into the hands of spammers).

I think it's pretty accepted that "leak" isn't a term limited to small amounts of data (see the US diplomatic cable "leak", or just wikileaks in general).

Agreed it is semantics... However, The data was stolen, it doesn't matter how many hands it passes through it remains stolen data not leaked data. Leaked has connotations of accidental or minor. The word stolen more accurately represents the truth here.

Leaked data to me infers that it was someone inside the organisation who released data by accident or deliberately but covertly. Such as government leaks etc.

I am angry about what these criminals have done and the word stolen carries more weight than leaked. Using leaked seems to take some of the impact away. For example which of the following more accurately relays your anger over the current situation?

AJ Online Services used leaked data to send emails to.....

AJ Online Services used stolen data to send email to.....

Just my opinion tho ;)

Agreed it is semantics... However, The data was stolen, it doesn't matter how many hands it passes through it remains stolen data not leaked data. Leaked has connotations of accidental or minor. The word stolen more accurately represents the truth here.

Leaked data to me infers that it was someone inside the organisation who released data by accident or deliberately but covertly. Such as government leaks etc.

I am angry about what these criminals have done and the word stolen carries more weight than leaked. Using leaked seems to take some of the impact away. For example which of the following more accurately relays your anger over the current situation?

AJ Online Services used leaked data to send emails to.....

AJ Online Services used stolen data to send email to.....

Just my opinion tho ;)

well it looks like the upstream provider for frogost.com has taken action and taken their siite down