Where's My/Your/Our Credit?

BlueVM

With any normal company providing a service or a product they usually offer compensation for the downtime and problems that occur with their product regardless if it was their fault...

So my question is where is the credit for:

- Loss of valuable data

- Exposing hundreds of people to fraud

- Having thousands if not millions of websites offline for hours on end

- The delay in notifying people via email

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on WHMCS... I'm wondering why they aren't doing more to prove that they are trying to fix things instead of "re-establishing business as usual". :(

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Loss of valuable data

Exactly what Valuable data was lost?

Unable to login to the admin area was the only side effect for customers, and that was few and far between. None of the installations I managed had this problem .

The notification email was sent out about 8 hours after the event occurred, while constantly being ddos's and attempting to restore the site from backups. Less than 24 hours is pretty acceptable when you look at the scope of things.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on WHMCS... I'm wondering why they aren't doing more to prove that they are trying to fix things instead of "re-establishing business as usual". :(

Its not "business as usual", they're still fixing things and working on setting up a new infrastructure.

Exactly what Valuable data was lost?

How about thousands of names, addresses, logins and credit card numbers?

and I'm sorry, but when I pay for a system I expect it to work... when it doesn't work is it unreasonable to ask for credit?

Actually yes, I do especially when the cable company gets my credit card details pastebin'd all over the internet. Heck I just got credit from the cable company for having to replace several lines (which took 16 hours) and they granted me 1/2 a months credit.

While what has happened is of course not good for anyone be it end user or WHMCS.

I feel it would be unreasonable to ask for a credit, at the end of the day Matt/WHMCS will be working round the clock to get services back to normal. There has been zero downtime to your end user, they can still login and pay bills etc.

I'll not be asking for any refund/credit for WHMCS because i know Matt/WHMCS is doing everything possible to stop this from happening again, you also have to think you have a lot of details on the web already suck as information from a WHOIS lookup so a lot of this will already be public knowledge so to speak.

You will still have zero cost from requesting a new credit card from most mainstream suppliers.

Blue VM, I am just curious: do you have a free license, or do you pay for your license.

If, like 75% of WHMCS clients you have a free license, I'm not sure what your gripe is.

And, if you do pay, please see the well reasoned comments from ihttp and melinpa1969.

Since none of you client data has been compromised, I'm not sure what your gripe is. The only data compromised was yours. It took me 10 minutes to change a couple passwords and cancel a credit card. How much is that 10 minutes worth to you, considering you'll probably spend hours jacking around with this post?

How about thousands of names, addresses, logins and credit card numbers?

and I'm sorry, but when I pay for a system I expect it to work... when it doesn't work is it unreasonable to ask for credit?

Only one (or a few) of those would related to you specifically.

The system works fine, at no time did WHMCS not function as it should due to their website being hacked.

Would you ask microsoft for a refund on your windows license if their website got hacked? Thats essentially what you're asking here.

Lets see 10 minutes to order a new credit card, 6 to 8 weeks to receive it. I'm kinda missing your logic here... it may take me 10 minutes to order a new card, but it'll take me months to be able to use it which would imply that WHMCS should wait months to be paid :P

Yes I do have a paid license, heck I didn't even know WHMCS offered free licenses? Where can I get one xD

On top of that it is a service I'm paying for, what right do you have to tell me I should not request a credit? If you feel that WHMCS shouldn't give me a credit thats your business, but starting a flame war over it isn't worth anyone's time.

I didn't ask for a refund, I asked for a credit (IE to my account). It'd be akin to asking your datacenter for credit on a network outage. Just because your datacenter doesn't own the ISP that provides your bandwidth doesn't mean they shouldn't have to apply some compensation for the outage.

Edited by BlueVM

I totally Agree with BlueVM, many sites did not work as the license authentication was having issues.

I had to insert a code in my configuration file to bypass this.

I dont have a monthly license but WHMCS should stand behind there product and make sure there clients are happy which we are not at this moment.

You all should be lucky clients asking for some compensation. You think a $15 lease can cover for the damages caused. Some of us are being spammed to death because of the lack of security measures used.

I love the product but acting like nothing happen wont work!!!

On top of that it is a service I'm paying for, what right do you have to tell me I should not request a credit? If you feel that WHMCS shouldn't give me a credit thats your business, but starting a flame war over it isn't worth anyone's time.

You posted on a public forum asking where it was, we replied with reasons why you likely wont get one. If you did not want a public response, you should have not posted it publicly and opened a ticket with them.

I didn't ask for a refund, I asked for a credit (IE to my account). It'd be akin to asking your datacenter for credit on a network outage. Just because your datacenter doesn't own the ISP that provides your bandwidth doesn't mean they shouldn't have to apply some compensation for the outage.

Refund, credit, it really doesnt make a difference.

Either way, the only "outages" that anyone had were due to license checks, and it was limited to just the administrator interface, for only a handful (in the ground scheme of things) clients.

As I said before, if you think you're entitled to a refund/credit, I'd suggest opening a ticket about it. Posting it on a public forum isn't going to get you any closer to your goal, and will only add fuel to the fire.

With any normal company providing a service or a product they usually offer compensation for the downtime and problems that occur with their product regardless if it was their fault...

So my question is where is the credit for:

- Loss of valuable data

- Exposing hundreds of people to fraud

You want a credit? Stop being so cheap man.

If it was downtime directly caused by their incompetence, then I _might_ agree with you, but that is not the case, you are merely being cheap and trying to get free money. If you want money, spend more time getting customers and less on trying to get free money from other peoples misfortune.

Edited by murmaiderz

lol do you get a credit from the cable company when the cable is out for a few hrs,

or how about when the cell network goes down,

heaven forbid you have never had a black out,

LMAO i had no intentions to comment on this thread until i seen this post. YES my cable company credits me as does my internet company as does my phone company as does my cell phone company if a network goes down.

As long as you call in and report the downtime and lost days we're credited on EVERY service we pay for.

Note: I'm not asking for credit, i'm simply responding to this comment as i found it rather funny. Heck my cable company recently credited me 90% of my bill a couple of weeks ago and a few months ago gave me a few free months because they messed up an early cancelation fee/activation.

Its common courtesy and an act of good faith to offer credit for issues in services rendered and data compromises. I never said you had to agree with me, but in reality I'm not asking for anything all that crazy. If Matt says no, that's fine I'll carry it on no further... it was after all a suggestion an idea if you will. Don't take it in such a way that you feel that I'm being rude...

LMAO i had no intentions to comment on this thread until i seen this post. YES my cable company credits me as does my internet company as does my phone company as does my cell phone company if a network goes down.

As long as you call in and report the downtime and lost days we're credited on EVERY service we pay for.

Note: I'm not asking for credit, i'm simply responding to this comment as i found it rather funny. Heck my cable company recently credited me 90% of my bill a couple of weeks ago and a few months ago gave me a few free months because they messed up an early cancelation fee/activation.

lol Yes DAYS I can see however it was only a small number of people for a few hrs,

Wow, seriously? You all have to order a new credit card. Are you seriously running a business with just 1 credit card available? Is this even really a business or a hobby?

The license issue only effected your /admin/ login, not your customers. Everything on the customer side (taking orders, making tickets, reading your announcements, etc) works just fine.

Funny how none of the larger hosting companies using WHMCS arent on here complaining about any of this. But then again, I'm sure they're not running their "business" with 1 credit card.

If its this much of a problem, take some cash out of the bank, go to Walmart, get a prepaid Visa debit card, and run your business from that till PayPal sends you a new debit card. sheesh.

This is as bad as the hosting "businesses" even posting WHMCS has been hacked in their announcements. Why even bring this up if it doesnt effect them? "HerpDerpHost: Our billing software website got hacked. But your info is ok!" Yeah, lets cause fear and confusion to your customers, good business practice!!!

Edited by desynced

Wow yeah - 6-8 weeks? My bank overnights it!

Just my 2 cents - I would not ask for credit - for what exactly? Nothing has ever happened to your own hosting EVER? Things happen.

Now - I wouldn't ask for this - BUT, if everything thinks Matt should give a credit - I would say "extend or offer" 6 months upgrade protection for licensed users. This way, if there is a new more secure version in the works, it gives you time to get it.

This way everyone wins.

But again, I don't think he owes us anything.

Lets see 10 minutes to order a new credit card, 6 to 8 weeks to receive it.

10 Minutes to order a new card (say its a vital business card needed to run business) and guess what it will be delivered next day, you will be able to use the same PIN number, so could use the new card straight away.

Also i was one of the lucky ones whos admin access never went down as i followed some basic guildelines . i changed all passwords etc, but i never attempted to update licence or anything licence side as with the licenceing server down this would have invalidated my licence.

Edited by easyhosting