[NOT A BUG] Can not set billing cycle to free in order when manually adding new order

I have some existing cpanel accounts that I'm adding to whmcs just to keep track of them. For the client, I "Add New Order", select the webhosting product, set the domain, change the billing cycle to "Free" and set the Price Override to 0. No invoice is generated and the order status is set to Active. When I check the product afterwards, the price is still 0, but the billing cycle has reverted to Monthly.

This is with WHMCS 4.5.2.

Is that in all cases, or when the selected billing cycle doesn't exist for the product? If the former, then the option for billing cycle should probably be removed. If the latter, I'd like if the billing cycle selection was dynamic and only gives valid options for the product.

Yes, it's only when the selected billing cycle doesn't exist for the product that it defaults to the lowest enabled term.

I've often wondered by it doesnt simply stick to one of

* limit the drop-down to the available/setup periods on the product

* allow any selection and apply it, as admins _should_ know what they're doing

Switching to a period that wasnt selected by the admin seems completely counter-intuitive