ipv4 + ipv6 with single licence?

elf

Hi folks.

Scenario: whmcs installed on a dual stack server. That is, it's a single installation directory but the whmcs can be visited via either ipv4 or ipv6 (the domain has both A and AAAA records).

I'm facing an issue where it would appear the licence only works when the site is accessed via one protocol or the other, but not both.

I set up the installation from my connection at home which was using ipv6 at the time. The day after when I was at work (v4 only) I wasn't permitted to log in to the admin area, and the site showed me the standard licensing error. The client/customer portal works fine.

There are two (bad) solutions I've been able to use thus far. 1) reissue the licence each time I use a different protocol. This will then show either my server's v4 ip or the v6 ip for my licence on whcms.com; or 2) remove the AAAA record from the subdomain in question so that my whmcs installation uses v4 only.

Does anyone know how to make the installation valid with more than one IP like this? I understand completely why it is behaving like this (to stop piracy), but dual stacking is going to become more and more common.

Cheers.

• 9 years later...

Hi

sorry to bump this post from 2011, it’s now mid 2020 and we have this issue! 

if we reset our WHMCS license then login from a IPv6 PC it updates our license and license information on WHMCS.com shows our websites IPv6 address, if an agent with a ipv4 IP from their ISP logs in to WHMCS then they get invalid license error. 

we need WHMCS to work for our agents on both ipv4 and v6 automatically without needing to get WHMCS support to manually  both IPs. 

is it possible this could be added so it activates the license once on v4 and once on v6?

• 10 months later...

Does this mean you need a Support contract to be able to change server? I mean will they still accept support tickets like this when the support contract expires of my live long license? Wouldn't it be better when the license check is Domain and DNS based in stead of IP address based. After all the IP address can be retrieved from a simple DNS query with PHP's dns_get_record which can do both A and AAAA. I mean why would it need to be manual with a support ticket? Is that to force us to have a license with support?

5 hours ago, com2 said:

Does this mean you need a Support contract to be able to change server?

I think that you should still be able to reissue the license yourself from the members area...

5 hours ago, com2 said:

I mean will they still accept support tickets like this when the support contract expires of my life long license?

that's an interesting question.... my suspicion is that once your support package had expired, you couldn't open a support ticket (e.g with Tech Support), but you might be able to open a ticket with the licensing department... though that's just speculation on my part and would need a definitive answer from WHMCS.

https://www.whmcs.com/members/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=18