My Mods are now with 100% visible source code

Hello,

I want to inform all my clients and all the potential clients, that from now on (actually from tomorrow), all my current and upcoming modules will be with 100% visible source code. I apologize if this action makes me the black sheep among the other developers who use to have them encrypted, but there are 2 major reasons for doing it:

1. It's unfair to sell on the same site unencoded vBulletin modules and encoded WHMCS modules. It's like that I have no trust to my WHMCS clients.
  2. I don't know what happen with the other developers, but I'm a single person company, working totally alone, and as all of you know well, life is so unexpected. I don't want, if something goes wrong with me to let all those who trusted me their money with useless mods on hands.

Of course the above change has no effect on the license rule, which is that the license is valid for one installation only.

Maria

Edited by ChrisTERiS
Typo

Maria;

Awesome idea. I've personally been trying to release more and more mods without any licensing or encryption.

This community has always been a very tight community with source codes due to the actual platform being encrypted itself. I am happy to see someone making the first move into "unencrypted" territory. From my personal experience if your addon is actually a good addon, people wont share it's source. Rather they will end up telling people to buy it.

As well if your addon does unlikely get pirated, free publicity! Win, win in the end. The one recommendation I would say to do is include a "Developed By" line on all your admin pages and link to your site. Good luck :)

I'd just like to say well done Maria.

Personally I think it'll get you more sales of the mod's and build more faith in what you've coded - there will always be those that steal addons, but it does definitely instill a higher level of confidence in the items - and quite often some helpful code suggestions by the users :D

Congratulations Maria!

It makes it easier to screen modules in order to make sure that there is no foul play or big problems and it also makes it easier to customize or fix things.

Regarding the one woman band side of things, you can always use an escrow service if you can find a cheap one.

there will always be those that steal addons

yes that big problem because you work very hard then you got customer buy it then they go and dispoute to they c.c said they dont like it or dont work . Then late you see them use it or change the script thinking that we dont know and start sell it.

Personally, I applaud this. One would think there are enough serious businesses here for the mod developers to survive. Those who steal your mods, would never have bought them in the first place, so technically, there is no loss for you. Annoying? Sure!

We are in these things for the long run and need mod developers who are around to support their mods. If they all of a sudden are gone, we need to be able to rely on that the mods we have purchased and implemented, either for our use or our customers use, still will work. Unfortunately, this is not always the fact with encoded/licensed mods. Not to mention the fact that we a lot of the time need to make adjustments to make mods work as we want them to work or change the way they are implemented on our site. If I could select, I would of course prefer a mod that came with all source code, so that we could use it as we see fit and we can use it whenever we want, even if the mod developer is no longer around.

yes that big problem because you work very hard then you got customer buy it then they go and dispoute to they c.c said they dont like it or dont work . Then late you see them use it or change the script thinking that we dont know and start sell it.

As I've replied to a similar post of you in another thread, is not fair to punsih nine honest clients for one dishonest. I don't believe that your chargebacks are more than 10%.

Personally, I applaud this. One would think there are enough serious businesses here for the mod developers to survive. Those who steal your mods, would never have bought them in the first place, so technically, there is no loss for you. Annoying? Sure! .

Being in online business since 2006 (but as a coder since 1984), the only real reason that I found for encoding the source code, is that this way you minimize the risk someone to search and find possible security holes. At least for me, I prefer to spend my time for coding than for encoding. And lets face the reality. What a client pays is mostly for the support and not for the value of mod itsself. Around 2 years ago I was selling a version of my vBulletin mods, which was exactly the same in features mod, but it has no support. Still remember that I was calling it "Buy & Go". Well, in a total of 50+ sales of that mod, I sold just 1 (one) of the cheap version. This means that what counts most for the client is the support.

Edited by ChrisTERiS
Typo

Thank you for doing this! I am one of those that don't buy modules because they are encrypted. Honestly I am also not happy with using WHMCS because it is encrypted, and kind of regret it now after using it for two years. I am in desparate need to fix problems with eNom module and other stuff in WHMCS, but WHMCS support will not fix the problems, and the problems is not resolved. If WHMCS was not encrypted, then I could fix it my self or hire a developer to fix the problems I am having with WHMCS.

I am interested in your Newsletter module for WHMCS, but I only find it on your front page, and the link is only pointing to the same page. Is this a module that you will release again soon?

Edited by ditto

I'm still not a client of yours but honestly, when i saw the title of the post, I said to my self that's some one I'd like to support by paying for his mods if they're useful to me.

That's a great move, giving trust and relief to your clients and would yield you a great amount of success that overcome the small amount of pirates or crackers!

Those who steal code and do not show respect for coders are reducing in percentage with time, if it was 50% of online users 5 years ago, I could say safely that it's 30% nowadays.

People are starting to realize the effort coders provide to make life easy for them by the pieces of code they give to the community.

I encourage all the coders to take this step and then start thinking about how to fight pirates in other ways.

I just became a client. Your courage and attitude in making this decision speaks to your character. It only takes one to start a movement.

I'm installing your forum mod now and look forward to using it.

On a separate note... I've had the pleasure of visiting your city (Thessalonika) many years ago. Plus many other cities in Greece. Wonderful country.

-Roger

... what counts most for the client is the support.

Well this is true. A disadvantage of going open source is you now have clients that will come to you with a customized version of your addon and wonder what is wrong with it. This means that you may have to offer them support for their customized modifications of the addon. Which is essentially custom development work, depending on the case of course.

I recommend adding a hash check into the software that will be used for comparisons of files during the time of support. This way you can easily determine if they are using a customized version.

I am totally on board here too - all the modules I plan to offer for WHMCS are 100% open source.

I've coded my main app for over 7 years - started with 99% encoded versions and over the years have transitioned to only encoding the really important files. The only thing it hurts is source code sales - but I can get over that.

recommend adding a hash check into the software that will be used for comparisons of files during the time of support

This is a great idea to help save a lot of time.

As I've replied to a similar post of you in another thread, is not fair to punsih nine honest clients for one dishonest. I don't believe that your chargebacks are more than 10%.

The problem is one you see someone take your source code then start sell your work to other peoples or change some thing they tell that they did the work is total wrong I see that alot in the forums.

What I think is that everybody who sell mod need to submit one to matt it case the developer dont support no more or not in the business no more then Matt got the right to give out the source code with some kind agreement :)

This is starting to sound more and more like countless other threads. "Give Matt your source". In reality Matt does not have time to take your source and redistribute it. It's just not practical.

As for pirating on these forums to others you can easily report it! It's even more verifiable if the source is open as you can now prove that the source code was originally published by you.

Here is the way I look at it, if people are going to pirate your source you probably don't want them as customers anyways.

Also I will be coming on board in the next few months as well! I have definitely considered going open source for the past little while and it looks like that time has finally come.