about registrars

hostlike

Hi

I am pretty new to this, not hosting but what to do. I am just starting out here.

Set up one basic package for testing, I want to be able to offer clients to transfer their domains/hosting to us. But when I go to the page, there are not TLDs listed.

I do not have a reseller with any registrars do I have to have this in order to just have clients transfer their exisitng domains over to me?

I use to have GoDaddy years ago as a reseller, but let it go. I have heard a lot about Enom but their set up fees are waaayyy above what I could ever afford.

Looking for advice as I am just getting started and have no paying clients yet. I have some lined up to start signing up, once I get it all set up but what about them transferring their domains to me, if I can't input TLDs unless I am a reseller of a registrar

Hope this makes sense.

thank you striddy, went there and signed up for the free enom account. When I clicked on resellers in the back office, there are a few choices. Not sure which one to pick, I don't need a lot just the bare minimum to get started. I noticed one called Instant Reseller can I get started with that?

I have finally got the API and IP all set up with Enom, but the tlds are still not showing. I believe I have followed all the steps. Enom just approved and applied the changes today, will this take w hile before the tlds show on my order pages?

I have gone in to domain regitrars and set it to enom with my information

I also went into domain pricing, I did not set a price as I would like to offer this free.

I have clients who would like to transfer their domains from other hosting providers, so want the domain name to be free.

Any help please.

I also went into domain pricing, I did not set a price as I would like to offer this free.

I have clients who would like to transfer their domains from other hosting providers, so want the domain name to be free.

So who will be paying for the domains?

The client already has purchased the domain and has a site, but they want to transfer their site to my hosting, how do they do that?

So on this page here http://www.hostlikethepros.com/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=3 there are 2 options for customers. one is to transfer their domain to me, the other is to set their own name servers. So would they choose the second option and then they take care of setting the nameservers?

I think I get it but not sure, so if they want to transfer their site to me but not their domain then they would select the second option and set the name servers themselves. The first option is if they want to register their domain with my registrar, correct?

One thing I have never really understood, is if you offer hosting, like for $4.00 a month and a free domain, don't you have to pay for the domain yourself? and that is like $9.00, so do you eat that $9.00, that can get expensive in my opinion. I dont see how people can offer free domain registration like this.

I am not familiar with Enom as a registrar never used them before, so also don't know how to set prices for domain registration. I went inside there and when I click on reseller I am taking to a sales page.

Like I have mentioned, I would just like to know how to set this up so that a few people I know can transfer the hosting to me without registering their domain name with a new registrar?

So would they choose the second option and then they take care of setting the nameservers?
To just host with you, yes. If they ask to transfer, that means changing registrars to your account, and unless it's an Enom-Enom transfer, it costs a year's fee (increasing the registration a year, depending on timing).

One thing I have never really understood, is if you offer hosting, like for $4.00 a month and a free domain, don't you have to pay for the domain yourself? and that is like $9.00, so do you eat that $9.00, that can get expensive in my opinion. I dont see how people can offer free domain registration like this.

Yes, you'd pay for it. This is called a "loss leader", something to entice them to pay for hosting with you. The hope is they stay long enough for the hosting fees to offset the domain cost.

It goes up each time ICANN raises their rates, typically 50 cents each TLD across the board. My regular reseller account went from $8.45 to now $10.50, and I'm looking to switch. They want thousands of dollars to reduce that by $1 or so per name, and that's not going to happen. My domain sales have fallen off with each increase.

I have a few hundred names in there, so it would take too long to recoup.