Resellerclub Website Hosting Module

Sounds good - I'm ready to buy. Final question though - since RC charges a full year for hosting, how did you test renewals? How do you know for sure the module will properly renew hosting when it comes due?

That is a very good question. I have not added this functionality yet but was just thinking about it last night. This shouldn't be too difficult to tackle since the API supports renewing hosting products and WHMCS provides a nice Action Hook system. I have focused mainly on provisioning new accounts and now the email notification piece. Now that it is all working, I will tackle the renewal part of things. I just wish they provided an API to suspend / unsuspend.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The orderbox platform will suspend service if it's not renewed, so as long as the module can renew the service, I think you'll be fine. There is a certain point after which service cannot be renewed I imagine, and the module would probably also need to factor that in. For sites we host in house, we can make all those decision as to when to suspend/terminate, so by the time we terminate there is no invoice to pay. However, with RC you'd want to make sure the customer couldn't pay the invoice past whatever their "point of no return" is after suspension. (I don't know what timeframe that is off the top of my head.)

Unfortunately, I'll have to wait and see how renewals are implemented - can't really be provisioning service through WHMCS until I can be confident it can also be renewed in a year.

The orderbox platform will suspend service if it's not renewed, so as long as the module can renew the service, I think you'll be fine. There is a certain point after which service cannot be renewed I imagine, and the module would probably also need to factor that in. For sites we host in house, we can make all those decision as to when to suspend/terminate, so by the time we terminate there is no invoice to pay. However, with RC you'd want to make sure the customer couldn't pay the invoice past whatever their "point of no return" is after suspension. (I don't know what timeframe that is off the top of my head.)

Unfortunately, I'll have to wait and see how renewals are implemented - can't really be provisioning service through WHMCS until I can be confident it can also be renewed in a year.

Unfortunately there won't be a way to test it 100% until your first account hits renewal period. It would help a bunch if you could do some research to find out how to handle the ResellerClub side of things. I can code it and make it work, but if you could help me figure out exactly how it needs to work in order for you to be happy and so it is functional for everyone else that would be great.

Not having any idea how the module works currently, I would guess you're using this API to create the hosting:

http://manage.resellerclub.com/kb/answer/941

There is a months parameter you use to specify how long the term is. The SuperSite RC gives you forces all hosting orders to be at least a year - but this API may conceivably allow for shorter terms. If so that would be great. I would recommend you first look into this - do they have a sandbox you can use to test that parameter?

Once you call the api to create a hosting plan, it returns a map of values - don't really know much about the values returned, but if it returns an expiration date you can set the package in WHMCS to match that expiration date. (Or, of course, knowing the term of the hosting plan you've order, you would know the renewal date from that, but I'd always choose the value returned by the API to make sure everything is in sync.)

WHMCS would renew the plan normally, and then you would call this API to renew the hosting at ResellerClub:

http://manage.resellerclub.com/kb/answer/942

Then the only question is what happens if the customer allows the hosting to expire, but then logs in to pay the invoice in WHMCS after you can no longer renew the service at ResellerClub? I imagine you could inspect the hosting plan details in RC to make that determination, using this API:

http://manage.resellerclub.com/kb/answer/945

It would probably return information on whether the plan could be renewed or not, or perhaps wouldn't return anything if it has been deleted.

You could do one of two things:

1. Do something to prevent the customer from paying the invoice if the plan is deleted or cannot be renewed. This would be difficult - you'd probably have to rely on the WHMCS admin(s) to cancel the invoice in time through a to-do item.

2. If the customer pays an invoice after suspension, renew the hosting order if it can be renewed, or re-create it if it cannot, and if the latter, make sure the email that goes to the customer specifies that the hosting plan was recreated rather than renewed because he paid too late.

Not having any idea how the module works currently, I would guess you're using this API to create the hosting:

http://manage.resellerclub.com/kb/answer/941

Yes, you are correct

There is a months parameter you use to specify how long the term is. The SuperSite RC gives you forces all hosting orders to be at least a year - but this API may conceivably allow for shorter terms. If so that would be great. I would recommend you first look into this - do they have a sandbox you can use to test that parameter?

Yes there is a test API (Sandbox) and that parameter must be 12. I have not tried doing anything longer than 12 months and don't really have a need to.

Once you call the api to create a hosting plan, it returns a map of values - don't really know much about the values returned, but if it returns an expiration date you can set the package in WHMCS to match that expiration date. (Or, of course, knowing the term of the hosting plan you've order, you would know the renewal date from that, but I'd always choose the value returned by the API to make sure everything is in sync.)

Thank you for this suggestion, I will do this in the next release. Even if a renewal function doesn't work, the expiration date should be in sync.

WHMCS would renew the plan normally, and then you would call this API to renew the hosting at ResellerClub:

http://manage.resellerclub.com/kb/answer/942

Then the only question is what happens if the customer allows the hosting to expire, but then logs in to pay the invoice in WHMCS after you can no longer renew the service at ResellerClub? I imagine you could inspect the hosting plan details in RC to make that determination, using this API:

http://manage.resellerclub.com/kb/answer/945

WHMCS hosting products don't renew like domains. If they did, I could capture a renewal id and this would be a piece of cake. I also don't know what happens with regards to resellerclub if a payment is never received, or if it is late.

It would probably return information on whether the plan could be renewed or not, or perhaps wouldn't return anything if it has been deleted.

You could do one of two things:

1. Do something to prevent the customer from paying the invoice if the plan is deleted or cannot be renewed. This would be difficult - you'd probably have to rely on the WHMCS admin(s) to cancel the invoice in time through a to-do item.

Anything is possible since I have the ability to write to and modify database contents. I can mark an invoice as cancelled if a certain amount of time has passed.

2. If the customer pays an invoice after suspension, renew the hosting order if it can be renewed, or re-create it if it cannot, and if the latter, make sure the email that goes to the customer specifies that the hosting plan was recreated rather than renewed because he paid too late.

It would probably be best to just tell the customer before it is recreated that "Hey, your account has been deleted, would you like to create it from scratch again?" Give them the option instead of just doing it.

I checked with WHMCS Staff regarding renewal of products via the server provisioning module.

Server modules do not have support for renewal calls. You would need to use an InvoicePaid action hook for capturing and issueing renewal commands as they aren't normally needed for products. See http://wiki.whmcs.com/Action_Hooks for assistance with those.

Regards,

Matt

I haven't wrapped my mind around the process yet, but it doesn't seem like it will be an easy option since there isn't a renewal function. What I could do is add another email template for expiring products, do the math and have the cron job send an email when a client's hosting product is going to expire. They would then be instructed to submit a ticket to have their hosting renewed. Then your staff could create an invoice to renew the product. I can create an Admin function that will renew the product but must be manually clicked by an admin user.

Process:

• Cron job sends expiration email
  • Customer creates ticket to have account renewed and invoice generated
  • Support Staff creates invoice
  • Once invoice is paid, support staff clicks "Renew Hosting" button and the API calls are sent to renew the specific hosting account.
  • The expiration date is updated and the customer gets an email in another 11 months that their account is expiring.

This is about the best idea I have right now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
is this support New RC Customized Hosting Plans ?

thanks

Looks like they changed the API again and eliminated the method I was previously using. I'll be correcting it to use the new API call which should support the new web services.

Edit: Looks like the old method still works. I don't see any major differences.

Edited by tsiedsma

• 1 month later...

Ok. Thank you for the update.

I'm basically hoping to shut down the RC supersite and not resell their hosting anymore since it's so unreliable as of late. However, I have like 20-30 unlimited hosting packages I would like to import over into WHMCS. Some of them are due soon, so I will await the renewal feature.

I had to manually enter in all the domains into WHMCS and set each client up with an account. Is there a way to shut down my supersite easily? I'm thinking of just creating the proper A record to the WHMCS login page.

The other thing I am awaiting on is the release of the full DNS management via API from RC.

Peter

• 1 month later...

I have been looking at this hosting module, Does this software provide the ability to have multiple hosting packages, as well as the ability to have multiple pricing tiers.

Say for example I make XYZ package that has the ability to pay for up to 3 years on it. can this module do that?

Is there anyway to test this module out before purchasing?

Does this module come encrypted or open?

It supports Windows and Linux hosting but only unlimited. There are not pricing tiers and it does not allow for setting custom packages.

There isn't a free trial and the module does come encoded.

ok that means I wont be purchasing it at this point because I would like to be able to set pricing for 1,2,3 years for the hosting. And since i can not setup my own custom packages with it. It would not be viable for me to purchase this. It looks like I will have to look at coding a module myself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I need some feedback from those that have been using this product and those that are interested in buying it.

I am reworking this module to allow the usage of custom plans as opposed to being forced into the unlimited linux and windows plans.

What other functionality do you want / expect from this module?

I am in the process of rewriting the Reseller Club Hosting Module. It will consist of two parts.

Part 1 is the Resellerclub Hosting Manager, this is an Admin Addon that allows you to define your packages you wish to sell. It imports the list of products from Resellerclub and you can choose which ones to offer your clients. You also define the module settings here including your username and password to access resellerclub. One of the biggest features is a user / package import. A list of hosting packages is imported from Resellerclub. You can choose to create those hosting accounts in WHMCS. It checks if the user exists by matching email addresses. If the user doesn't exist in WHMCS, you will be prompted to create the user or skip the import.

Part 2 is the actual server module which will pull a list of hosting packages from the database and allow you to sell your custom resellerclub packages. You'll be able to set your pricing and billing terms.

I'm looking for feedback on the above features and anything else that I should add. I'm shooting to finish this by the end of the month, so get your requests in now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does this module support the Resellerclub Website Builder? I would really like to be able to automatically provision the Website Builder from WHMCS or at the very least provide customers access to the Website Builder administration from within the WHMCS client area.

The Resellerclub Website Builder is a great product and I'm sure many others would like to see it integrated.