Email Only (with or without a domain)

mrJ

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if it is possible to offer an email only service - either by the client ordering a domain name, or by them using a 'free' domain that could be offered?

I ask, as perhaps a client may just want to order a domain name to make emails more personal (ie. theirname@theirdomain.tld) - but in order for them to use it for email, they will need space. Now they may not want a hosting package and don't really want to givve them disk space for their email for free.

I'm just wondering if it is possible to say offer one or two email only plans with say 500MB and 1GB (or whatever) of web space. 1&1 offer this (https://order.1and1.co.uk/xml/order/MailInstantMail;jsessionid=C430FC3A5310F1CB55E5306F56396E1E.TCpfix150a?__frame=_top&__lf=Static) as does 123-Reg (http://www.123-reg.co.uk/email/)

The one thing I wouldn't want though, if for clients to be able to access cPanel if it is a 'free' domain and also not allow them to use FTP.

Is any of this possible?

It surely would be great to manage all aspects of an account via WHMCS (so perhaps adding, deleting, password changing, for email accounts in it may be helpful too)

8)

Oh, I did find this - http://www.webhostingtalk.com.au/technical-support-3/email-only-plan-cpanel-7088.html - but not too sure if it would be of any use.

Edited by mrJ

We allow our customers the ability to order a domain with just email services provided to them. You just need to create a new package in WHM and within WHM create a new feature list removing everything other than the email account side of things.

Once you have done this create an email package within WHMCS and reference the new package that you have set up in WHM.

They then get a cpanel just the same but the cpanel only has the features and icons that you want them to have.

Cool - thanks!

It would be great if mailboxes could be added within WHMCS - I'm just thinking about people who may be scared of cPanel (ie. those who don't want to know about hosting)... something to look into I guess :)

Sorry, but I don't think I quite understand what you mean...

Just to make it cleaer - I plan both myname@webhostcompany.com and myname@mydomain.com (but they could have any email address they want on their domain) based plans (obviously one is cheaper since there is no domain to think about), but the main idea is about letting them pay a monthly/annual fee to store their email on my servers.

Just to make it cleaer - I plan both myname@webhostcompany.com and myname@mydomain.com (but they could have any email address they want on their domain) based plans (obviously one is cheaper since there is no domain to think about), but the main idea is about letting them pay a monthly/annual fee to store their email on my servers.

Are you seriously considering allowing random people to have email addresses associated with your web hosting company?

I see no reason why not - it probably won't be the same domain that the actual company uses for everything, though the website for that domain could just show a simple page advertising the services offered if someone ever wanted to have one. ISPs have been giving away email addresses for years, so it can't be much of a problem, surely....

Refference allowing clients to add mailboxes via WHMCS, you could just not send them the passwords to cPanel at all,nor create them an account... if it's going to be on your domain, you'd already have an account right?

So when they sign up, use the domain field, or a custom field so a module would access YOUR account & create an email account with the address & password they chose on signup.

They can then change the password for their account inside cPanel webmail or you could make a module to allow them to do it directly in WHMCS...

Hope that helps... Josh

Indeed - don't really want to be sending anyone to cPanel if it is on my domain, so best to keep everything within WHMCS

I just wonder if it were possible to do this within WHMCS ... although I wonder now if it would be possible to get an up-to-date list of the email addresses setup from cPanel to show the client what they have within WHMCS (as they could order a domain and thus access cPanel to add new accounts, etc) - the current password would also be handy for updating passwords.

It would be nice if all the accounts (and their email addresses) created under this appear within the admin part of WHMCS (so admin can change password, via quota, etc).

True, but they can change their individual mailbox password from within cPanel without having access to any other functions...

Of course it's possible to change the password inside WHMCS, but you can't list all the accounts to the customer, becuase how can you identify which are theirs?

You woluld have to have a different service / contract per email address.

I guess you could show all the addresses in the admin area & allow quick pass word changes :)

If there is a common domain, those users cannot access cPanel - so WHMCS would have to store what email addresses belong to them, but can interface with cPanel to update passwords, etc.

If they have their own domain, then since you know the domain, so you should be able to tell what account all the email addresses belong to (since everything is stored by domain within cPanel).

The problem is, I'm not sure how this can be all listed when viewing a client with the admin panel, as that is where it should be stored/accessed

We allow our customers the ability to order a domain with just email services provided to them. You just need to create a new package in WHM and within WHM create a new feature list removing everything other than the email account side of things.

Once you have done this create an email package within WHMCS and reference the new package that you have set up in WHM.

They then get a cpanel just the same but the cpanel only has the features and icons that you want them to have.

This will only work if the purchaser has his own domain. if you want a system like hotmail whwere yopu gibe out generic email addresses, then this will need to be done manually using WHMCS.

I have a comment about FTP. It`s correct that access to FTP is disabled when e.g using the cPanel x3mail theme, but the user can still use FTP, with a FTP client.

Anyone who have a solution for this?

This is certainly something that isn't wanted.... if people have access to FTP then it defeats the object behind having an email-only service and gives them a cheaper hosting account instead

I see no reason why not - it probably won't be the same domain that the actual company uses for everything, though the website for that domain could just show a simple page advertising the services offered if someone ever wanted to have one. ISPs have been giving away email addresses for years, so it can't be much of a problem, surely....

i see a reason why not, You have 1000's of people using your hosting domain as their email address, ok so its good for business you just got free advertising.

Problem is, your clients see a great opportunity to send out spam emails from a server that they have no relation to, i mean, its free isnt it. and its not their company so why are they bothered about the consequences.

Blacklisted mailserver, great for business hey

i see a reason why not, You have 1000's of people using your hosting domain as their email address, ok so its good for business you just got free advertising.

Problem is, your clients see a great opportunity to send out spam emails from a server that they have no relation to, i mean, its free isnt it. and its not their company so why are they bothered about the consequences.

Blacklisted mailserver, great for business hey

Now what if they were charged an annual fee? The fee for hosting email services would be similar to domain email-only hosting (but perhaps cheaper as they could get fewer inclusive email addresses).

This is kinda what I'm trying to get towards.... anyhow, sending spam from a free email address is no different from a client with their own domain on your server sending out loads of spam daily (surely). Naturally you would boot them from your server if they break your terms and conditions, the same would happen to free email address holders.

• 7 months later...