WHMCS on standard hosting package

kingabs

Question

Hi

As tittle i have been running the trial edition of WHMCS on heart internets business pro package for around 3 days and cron jobs work fine and everything work well.

Question is i am planning to put on around 2000-3000 customers over the next year and was wondering if their 500Mb Mysql database and their business pro hosting account will be up for the task of running WHMCS?

ok good point.

Is there any uk based companies that have good vps servers that support cpanel as we have very limited i house tesn knowledge as we dont know how to install things like ioncube ect ect.

also untill i build up my numbers do you think i can relay on the hosting package for the time being?

Why UK VPS's when you can get US based servers just as cheap, if not cheaper? If you really want a VPS in the UK then I would go with tagadab.com, good value for money.

Don't forget, even with a VPS you still won't be able to host as many people as you'd like. Hosting an amount of client websites all comes down to how good a spec the server is, and if you do get a VPS, just make sure you upgrade every time you see the server struggling - CPU usage is something you should keep an eye on.

Why UK VPS's when you can get US based servers just as cheap, if not cheaper? If you really want a VPS in the UK then I would go with tagadab.com, good value for money.

Don't forget, even with a VPS you still won't be able to host as many people as you'd like. Hosting an amount of client websites all comes down to how good a spec the server is, and if you do get a VPS, just make sure you upgrade every time you see the server struggling - CPU usage is something you should keep an eye on.

Hi

we wont be hosting any sites on the vps as we dont intend to use WHMCS for any web hosting products.

We are looking at using WHMCS for IT subscription services for IT support.

We already have around 679 customers which we would like for them to use whmcs with paypal.

Hosting a billing solution script on shared servers is asking for trouble, IMHO. Far more chance that an account getting compromised on the server will allow access to your clients and data than with isolating it by having it on a VPS or separate server.

Just my 2 cents.

The one I'm using right now is SolarVPS, and I'm quite happy so far. (http://www.solarvps.com/)

They aren't the cheapest on the market, but I've gone through a few really cheap ones and each had huge issues causing me to leave (I will not name any of them). One decided to relocate his servers to a new DC, driving them there over the course of 4 days without telling anyone in advance (not the first extended outage, and he's down right now as well). Another accidentally changed permissions on every file on the VPS to 777, including root and cpanel files.

There were others.

Don't shop on price, and remember if you also get cpanel, you may need to add RAM. ;)

ok we have just order a server from 1and1 as we have used them for years and found them to be good for our needs.

Here is a link to the server we have ordered and that we have ordered it with te 1and1 control panel and not the linux one as they will manage the server ie back up and patching ect ect. http://order.1and1.co.uk/xml/order/ServerPremiumDualCoreS;jsessionid=01167FE1D1EE16D11D420E4E9F96AFB3.TC30b?__frame=_top&__lf=Static&ordernow=true&linkType=&linkOrigin=ServerPremium

so i think the server will be sufficent to run WHMCS on it.

we wont be using it for reselling hosting just purley for IT services subscriptions through paypal.

well got the server and so far the support for server is shockingly bad.

i dodnt order any domains yet but i should be able to cacel within the distance selling act.

I think you will find it better hitting your head on the wall then trying to claim

on the " cacel within the distance selling act." as most host's/site on the net do not stick to this and get away with it.

Did you do a full google on them as I think you will get problems also with SSL's on any of there server's:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=1and1%27s+SSL+not+working&btnG=Search&meta=

So if you had "but i should be able to cacel within the distance selling act." in your mid why did you go with it.

All that come to my mid is "Get Me Out Of Here"

and I bet the total price was more £60/p/m.

the price i was paying was £34.99 with vat included but when had to speak with their tech support last night due to ssh not working they said your server administor it urself.

i said to them i have one of your managed servers and the tech guy put the phone down on me and i was calm and polite.

Oh well if they do not cancel the contract within the distance selling act then i'll just get my brother who is a solicitor to sort them out.

The search for a good UK based VPS cpanel server continues.

I pay $60.00/p/m for a VPS at liquidweb.com and am now on my (about)290 day uptime that is 100% and if I need them to do any think on the server for me in about 30 min's OK it is a US server but NO UK host can better that as, if you can you will probable be telling us next year still not have found one but had paid out big £, sorry if this is not what you want to here but it is true US Host's are the best.

just try go on to there L/Chat and see if you can get a price match about $60 - $70 and space etc..

Edited by thehost5968

i am planning to put on around 2000-3000 customers over the next year and was wondering if their 500Mb Mysql database and their business pro hosting account will be up for the task of running WHMCS?

No, you'll be out of space, and likely kicked for resource usage before you hit 500 clients.

You will need more than 1 server for that many customers...

There is no "formula" that can map client-number to server spec, it's entirely dependant on what the site is, how it works, what technologies it relys on, how many visitors it gets, etc - it's quite possible to have 1000 static html sites on a Pentium3, and its also possible that you need 186 servers, multiple load balancers, 12 full time staff and over £300k of supporting network hardware for a single website :P

Why UK VPS's when you can get US based servers just as cheap

There are great many reasons to place it as close as possible to both the target-users and the systems it has to control.

spoke to a few server suppliers and not one of them offers a standard service to just instal ioncube.

You must be selecting some right muppets :P

Installation/initial config of LAMP with ioncube/zend, cpanel if required etc, are all basic tasks - I'm not aware of a single managed VPS company that wouldnt do that

- you need a company providing managed servers/vps, not someone with a $29 template that says "fully managed" but actually means "i might pay $2 on WHT to someone for the work if i see the support email between classes"

well got the server and so far the support for server is shockingly bad.

Par for the course with the provider you selected ...

and am now on my (about)290 day uptime that is 100%

Which means you've not rebooted after upgrading any of the 3 or so kernel revisions, checked your disk for faults, or had a change to completely clear you RAM (wich cpanel can waste) etc

- making it potentially hackable (if not already hacked), slow and maybe not coming back after a reboot ... :P