Disabling pre-sales form, network issues, server status, etc.

tracedef

I'm trying to disable the as many features that we aren't using as possible so they don't show up on the whmcs home page. I see a check box to disable the pre-sales contact form, but unchecking it does not keep it form appearing... also want to remove server status, network issues, domain checker and knowledgebase.... is there any way to do this?

I'm trying to disable the as many features that we aren't using as possible so they don't show up on the whmcs home page. I see a check box to disable the pre-sales contact form, but unchecking it does not keep it form appearing... also want to remove server status, network issues, domain checker and knowledgebase.... is there any way to do this?

yes - you just edit the .tpl files - a search on the forum and reading the wiki will tell you everything you need to know

Forum search isn't weak, you may just not be entering terms properly. What was it you searched on specifically that you couldn't find?

For instance, I used "disable features"

It found these:

http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?t=3701

http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?t=13942

Ironically, both have the same recommendation: "edit the templates" (tpl files), just like Rob suggested above. :D

Forum search isn't weak, you may just not be entering terms properly. What was it you searched on specifically that you couldn't find?

For instance, I used "disable features"

It found these:

http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?t=3701

http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?t=13942

Ironically, both have the same recommendation: "edit the templates" (tpl files), just like Rob suggested above. :D

Hmm, tried the same and got tons of results (not all related), and now tried again and got pretty narrow results.

Is there a difference on results if your logged in or not ?

Thanks bear

When I searched for disable features nothing comes up, I got this: http://wiki.whmcs.com/Special:Search?search=disable+features&go=Go There is a search button and a go button, which one do I use? jk.

In any case, I ended up hacking the templates without much pain... it's just a bit counterintuitive to have to do so, I would think that disabling features would be a no brainer for it's own little section in configs..... in any case, thanks guys.

Hmm, tried the same and got tons of results (not all related), and now tried again and got pretty narrow results.

When you're trying to get only those words, use it within quotes. "words here". That will grab results with both, but not those with only one or the other. ;)

EDIT: I posted something before this about the "searching" and didn't show.

It's there now. We have some filtering in place to stop spammers and it occasionally triggers on something that isn't spam. You're past the filter now so that shouldn't happen again unless you happen to post one of a few particular phrases (unlikely in normal forum posts unless you're spamming). ;)

[EDIT]

An additional note: if you still can't manage to find something in particular, you may get results from Google if you enter the search like this (including the "quotes"):

"search words" site:forum.whmcs.com

Doing so would make the templates more complicated in the first place...as you said it's not difficult to remove :)

At the end of the day, the end user is still better served by having more control without having to hack the code. Many people simply don't know how to access or edit code.

At the end of the day, the end user is still better served by having more control without having to hack the code. Many people simply don't know how to access or edit code.

The following is directed at no one in particular, even though I quoted the above:

[personal opinion]

If you're in business and you don't know how to do something you either learn, hire someone to do so, or make do with what you have. I believe that the entire hosting/design industry would be better served if it were harder to get started, making it more of an investment in learning how to operate instead of simply buying a cheap reseller account, a "point and click" client manager (though WHMCS is much appreciated compared to previous products) and selling $1/month unlimited accounts they probably don't know how to support and repair either.

If a "host" won't invest in learning how to manipulate the products he uses to do what he wants without being able to simply click buttons on and off, he needs to either conform to what's given or choose another occupation.

[/personal opinion]

Editing and altering WHMCS is quite simple compared to other products I've used such as M-bill and A-Pilot (plus several others). Even though it's mostly encoded, the templates are straightforward, variables are named intuitively and templates are as well. There is decent documentation, and quite a few selfless people on this forum that offer assistance to those that aren't as adept at edits. In addition to that, the folks behind the product are responsive and available to help with nearly anything that you can't figure out.

What seems to be the issue here, that it's not spoon fed and one click fixes? See above. ;)

Interesting. I've never seen an argument for making tools harder to use before. Most people I know use software and tools that are as easy to use as possible for the exact opposite reason you have stated: instead of "investing" resources into manipulating and customizing these tools, they can instead invest those resources into other parts of their business. It is naive to think that making tools harder to use for the sake of creating a barrier to entry will keep out bad players. This is demonstrated by the fact that many bad players in the hosting industry are very skilled coders.

"What seems to be the issue here?"

I don't have an issue personally, you seem to have an issue with anyone pointing out areas where there might be room for improvement, whether it be in search, features or otherwise. A bit defensive if you ask me. Even though you aren't a staff member.

I don't have an issue personally, you seem to have an issue with anyone pointing out areas where there might be room for improvement, whether it be in search, features or otherwise. A bit defensive if you ask me. Even though you aren't a staff member.

I point out issues that I feel are issues, and I'm entitled to an opinion as much as the next forum member or user of this product.

Forum search is not broken, some members use of it is incorrect/flawed.

WHMCS is not hard to use and edit, some users want it totally adapted for their needs without needing to learn how.

I suppose I'm personally fed up with those that complain when something doesn't work precisely as they need it out of the box and instead of learning how to correct that complain that the software is faulty. Attitude is important, as is the willingness to learn. What I see a lot of lately is people getting into this business because they feel it's easy money, and then taking a very flippant attitude towards the running of that business. People's livelihoods are at stake, and when "hosts" aren't taking their role in it seriously, these people get hurt.

That annoys me, and I some times write about it. Feel free not to read it.

I've never seen an argument for making tools harder to use before

You must be new then ;) Almost everyone I know that has ever had any *training* on something, or has extensive *experience* is of the opinion that making things more idiot-proof, simply leads to more inventive idiots.

I'm certainly in favour of making many things actively user-hostile ...

At the end of the day, the end user is still better served by having more control without having to hack the code.

Editing the tpl's is not hacking the code, you're not allowed near the *code* for a reason - they're the equivalent of a template website - if you buy a website and dont like it, you change the html, or if it has links you dont want, you remove them, or its the wrong colour on the boxes, you update the css - it'snot rocket science, and if removing an html link is too difficult for someone ...

When you're trying to get only those words, use it within quotes. "words here". That will grab results with both, but not those with only one or the other. ;)

It's there now. We have some filtering in place to stop spammers and it occasionally triggers on something that isn't spam. You're past the filter now so that shouldn't happen again unless you happen to post one of a few particular phrases (unlikely in normal forum posts unless you're spamming). ;)

[EDIT]

An additional note: if you still can't manage to find something in particular, you may get results from Google if you enter the search like this (including the "quotes"):

"search words" site:forum.whmcs.com

Normally I'm pretty good at searching at google, but never occurred to me I can use the same parameters here, like quoting for a exact phrase match. Silly me.

Though that last tip you mention I've never tried before, seems pretty good.

Thanks again bear