[RESOLVED] Spelling error

if you have english speaking customers whether you use authorisation or authorization anyone know what it means, so having more files that really is pointless taking up more space of servers when these are not needed.

one example, apart from hosting i sell and install a lot of oscommerce templates and i always ask the client which language files they want and will remove the ones not needed, so therefore taking up less server space when these are not needed and not used

A few lang files is only gonna take up a few 100KB, it's no big deal. If your customers are so pedantic then I'm sure it won't be much effort for you to create one yourself. None of our mind.

Aluminium is an interesting one; it was originally called that but then the inventor renamed it Aluminum to fit in with other elements. US adopted the new name, Brits kept the old one.

Hopefully I don't ruffle too many feathers but I don't feel many of these comments, and many of the other thread posted above, are what would be considered professional... As a business person I am not interested in pettiness and bravado in the business realm. Save it for your mates. I often put my personal viewpoints aside and focus on what improves the experience of my customers and my business bottom line. In the big picture that is what counts.

The many variants of the English language are widely recognized. Accommodating these variants is no different than providing lang files for any other language. Most companies if they are wise customize their marketing materials to suit the local market. Language grammar and spelling is a big part of that process. Not everyone is knowledgeable of differences in the English Language and they may view these differences as a spelling error and view the company negatively.

Being Canadian I have become very aware and very tolerant of the mix of UK and US English, thrown together with a far smattering of Canadian French words and sayings, that we experience everyday. But in my business I recognize that the huge US market is my main customer base and they are typically not so aware and tolerant of these differences. I gladly accommodate and cater to them. My Canadian customers on the other hand are so familiar with the variants that it is a non-issue for them. When it comes to business the customer trumps personal biases every time.

I too agree with osCommerce that an English US lang file would be a benefit for many. It would be easy to delete it from the install like all the other lang files that are not needed. Claiming that WHMCS is a British company and so the English lang file will be “British” English is very limiting to the growth of WHMCS.

PS.

Sorry for the rant but language issues are a sore point for me... :)

I am also a UK business and always use the UK language in all my communications, but to say that "Not everyone is knowledgeable of differences in the English Language and they may view these differences as a spelling error and view the company negatively" in my opinion is wrong as if you have a computer with a microsoft operating system then if you use the spellchecker it will ALWAYS bring up UK english spellings as errors and give the US english correction. so anyone with a computer will be knowledgeable of the differences in the english language.

I am also a UK business and always use the UK language in all my communications, but to say that "Not everyone is knowledgeable of differences in the English Language and they may view these differences as a spelling error and view the company negatively" in my opinion is wrong as if you have a computer with a microsoft operating system then if you use the spellchecker it will ALWAYS bring up UK english spellings as errors and give the US english correction. so anyone with a computer will be knowledgeable of the differences in the english language.

Too many "IF"s to assume.

------------------------------------

I would bet that a majority of US internet users would see that as a misspelling.

IMHO, the OP is correct, include another language file and let the site owner decide what to use.

Sorry bro.. Doug hit it right on the nail exactly?

Have you ever been Midwest, or deep south US? NO not everyone KNOWS what the UK spelling is for different words in the English language, and it is very presumptuous for you to assume so(believe it or not the world doesn't evolve around the UK).

well guess what. Microshaft is a US company... They can do what they want. WHMCS is a UK company and their default/ONLY English is UK English..

But that really wasn't the point of the OP was it?

The point was, why isn't there a US English as well as others? At least with Microshaft you can get your version.

From the "other thread" http://forum.whmcs.com/showpost.php?p=57321&postcount=9

Just go through lang/English.txt and run an American spell checker.

and in response to Doug.

This is a forum of your peers. If you find it difficult to stomach robust debate around topics that by their very nature cannot be discussed with clients, but which should be discussed here, then you are entitled to your opinion.

My opinion is somewhat different to yours. When a discussion is devolved down to its component elements, devoid of human emotion (that includes the whole gammut of emotions), then that exchange ceases to be communication, and simply becomes an exchange, or worst still, a transaction. This is a forum, not a knowledgebase or a WIKI.

fo·rum speaker.gif (fôr'əm, fōr'-) Pronunciation Key

n. pl. fo·rums also fo·ra (fôr'ə, fōr'ə)

1. The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business.
    2. A public meeting place for open discussion.
    3. A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website.

[*]A public meeting or presentation involving a discussion usually among experts and often including audience participation.

[*]A court of law; a tribunal.

[Middle English, from Latin; see dhwer- in Indo-European roots.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Cite This Source

The many variants of the English language are widely recognized. Accommodating these variants is no different than providing lang files for any other language.

Well put Doug, and in fact that post is one that should be read over by those complaining about spelling differences being "unprofessional" and having additional language files is a "waste of space".

'nuff said. Let's close this now, since it's all been covered.