Online Backups

ihostgreen

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...
I wouldn't use this. My server already comes with backup with my provider and it does do daily backups and it cost me none.

Correct .; .Im interested in how the integration fo Ahsay into WHMCS is .. Id like to adding the ability to automatically provision accounts in my ahsay offering, as currently i have to do it manually after a new customer signes up for backup service.

The backup service isnt for websites.. its for their computer desktops

BUT i would be interested in backing up user websites outside of CPANEL using the existing BACKUP feature in CPANEL with a Cron job .. Possible?

Where to find this script as module? Does it have the option to choose the backup-space Amazon S3 (ie: i need it outside from my server; i want have backups done from customer-pc`s to amazon s3 directly, without going bandwidth via my server - amazon is charging bandwidth, if it goes over my box i would be charged doubled).

If this is not part of your mod - do you think you could program it ? (there are near other solutions out for free in the amazon wikis, but nothing like this including with selling through whmcs)

Where to find this script as module? Does it have the option to choose the backup-space Amazon S3 (ie: i need it outside from my server; i want have backups done from customer-pc`s to amazon s3 directly, without going bandwidth via my server - amazon is charging bandwidth, if it goes over my box i would be charged doubled).

If this is not part of your mod - do you think you could program it ? (there are near other solutions out for free in the amazon wikis, but nothing like this including with selling through whmcs)

I dont think there is a generic one available .. my parent company is development an API specific for their Backup Solution to integrate with WHMCS.

What cliend software do you use to backup clients to Amazon S3?

What cliend software do you use to backup clients to Amazon S3?

none in the moment, but we think at something in java. we`ve mounted it simply into the filesystem with http://www.subcloud.com/ , so i have the bucket as folder under normal user ftp-account and can manually (very slow) backup to/from here. thats nothing as solution for selling to customers :(

from aws-side we`ve found tools like JungleDisk, NetDrive, S3Backup, S3 Firefox Organizer (this would be also more interesting for us) S3 Safe, SpaceBlock and some more.

we think with subcloud (good license prices if i look at other solutions !) and some from the opensource side and a little programming thats should not be too hard to do..

as i see the stones for playing are all already here, now its the question how to reorder and conjunction them for selling it under own branding and not to pay 1000s of bucks for someone other brand.

i am not programmer and we have not time now to pursuit this idea, but basically if i find new ideas for this i am interested, and more if its have to do with whmcs which i use already.

what is your opinion about backups to s3 ?

we are providing ourself all-inkl. reseller packages and have own server but we want to use the possibility to sell high encrypted transfer and backupspace to middle or big companies using S3, because we can charge first our customers and pay self later only what they really are using. we dont want to rent or buy first, we want to charge first. Its the money-factor.

Vembu StoreGrid do it in simple way for enduser, but its too expensive in licenses. Its cheeper to build up an own solution.

(sorry for my bad english, maybe i dont explain it good)

I understand completely .. I signed up for S3, but dont see how it can be used in that capacity .. its storage space .. from what i can see.. not really a backup solution .. its more offsite storage. i have S3 now .. and i dont even know how i could backup to it

would i just use an existing backup client and when they ask for where im storing the repositiory i point it to this cloudshare or something?

the existing "backup clients" for s3 are rudimentary solutions and most open source, completely mixed, some javas, some win exe, some in c .., the others are more a mix like ftp and explorer for s3.

in linux, for mounting we used subcloud (its not only a filesystem, like more a set from better and more command tools (i didnt it myself, i have a linux-geek who did for me)

so in the moment i can use: a) rudimentary explorers for myself to access buckets/folders from my windows, and/or b) mounted it to my box as folders for my customers (accessible per ftp)

with soubcloud, as soon as mounted in linux, i can restrict the folders in size, chown, .. , like normal linux folders.

finally, the bucket itself is "unlimited" (i know, bad word). in our first tries we got it working "only" with 256 TB , but its not prob from S3, its prob from technic/linux adressing.

i dont know if to use existing backup clients is possible or senseful, thats where we are working and thinking now. we want to provide a simple solution to our customers, where we would do the initial "seed" in sending the full dataset (many gb) ourself to the datacenter and having a simple exe (or java) for our clients to install under their windows for regulary automatic backupping their disks, folders,... only the differences, in time-sets like hourly/daily/weekly or whatever the customer want.

The only "problem" (i dont think its really a problem) is to serve the account login datas encrypted for this specially user (it must be a mix from the bucket-account what we have at s3, and the chown/group permission what we give to this dedicated customer) as part from this exe / java.

A module in whmcs may could solve this last "problem" in excellent way (integrating account datas for our s3 bucket from us, as soon as user buy this: making new folder under this bucket, setting new user permission on this folder, (via subcloud commands), and so sell 256TB or less or more per customer and folder under the bucket), the rest (enduser-side - where the backup will be started without us, but with our exe / java) should be programming out from open source (backup, explorer, ftp, and .. branding), its simply a folder accessible via ftp under my user domains, and encrypted s3-accountdatas in our exe / java.

eg: i dont want to tell my customers anything about s3 or bucket; they should find either the folder under their ftp account, and/ or they should use our exe/java. (simple but powerful windows endsolution for backupping to s3, using our encrypted account-datas for there, setted up and selled with whmcs, to charge first, to pay after) hope its clean ;)

.. and .. back to the money.. i know with all the bandwidth and space pricing from amazon, its almost the same price like own servers.. but the big differences are:

a) its not the same if we can do initial seed by going directly to the datacenter and after route the traffic from the customer to s3 without the way over our box (exe/java should connect directly between customer and s3)

b) we can charge first and must pay after, so we can charge more as ever will be used by customers..

i think it makes sense.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

well you dont need all this complicated stuff

I just got a VPS running cpanel, make a new features list, with stripped down features, tweek mod_userdir Protection and thats it, you offer and sell backup space without the user being allowed to use the space for setting up websites. and because it works on cpanel/WHM, it is fully integrated into WHMCS

I use WHMCS for a backup business; I don’t do anything other than that. And even though I don't use Ashay and never will, there is a market for businesses. The backup stuff you here about on the news are mostly crap and I have made a lot of reports of the service not working, not being able to restore their data for some reason or another.

I know a lot of people say they have software that backs up their stuff, and some do and some think they do…..

A lot of these sofware are just to make money for software house and down really help.

my home computer i have a externall HDD where i backup my main HDD to weekly. for websites and server you have backup facilities in cpanel/DA which only backup to the home dir, so if the site/server goes down so does the backup which means the backup is useless, so by setting up another server you can ftp the backups to an external source so if your site/server goes down you still have recent backups.

no need for all this software

• 6 months later...

Vembu StoreGrid - Data backup software for Managed Service Providers now supports complete integration with WHMCS billing module. MSPs who are using both WHMCS and Vembu StoreGrid can now automate their invoicing of StoreGrid Backup Software through WHMCS. Team at Vembu is also working more closely with the WHMCS team to offer tighter integration by creating tickets in WHMCS whenever there is a status update in the backup schedule

vembu storgrid is crap software that is made from free stuff in India...

Free stuff? Out of curiosity what stuff are you talking about? I definitely have never been impressed with anything they have offered though. They seem to have a nice feature list, but when you look at their crazy licensing and actually try to use their software, you will hate it. Disclaimer, its been about a year or two since i messed with their software.