Refund error *Tip*

ctroyp

I just ran through this error and wanted to post in case others run into it.

If you process a refund in the WHMCS backend via Authorize.net and get an error in the gateway log of:

The referenced transaction does not meet the criteria for issuing a credit.

One possible solution is that the transaction has not actually posted in Authorize.net. You have two options:

1. Manually go to your Authorize.net virtual terminal and void the transaction, or
  2. Wait until the transaction has posted and then execute the refund from the WHMCS backend.

...hope this helps!

Just be careful about voiding transactions. They seem to take a LOT longer than a refund to get back to the customers card, so I found out. Safest seems to be let it batch, then do the refund if you can do it that way.

Just be careful about voiding transactions. They seem to take a LOT longer than a refund to get back to the customers card, so I found out. Safest seems to be let it batch, then do the refund if you can do it that way.
I am not sure what you mean when you say that voiding them takes longer to get put back on the card. In Authorize.net, if you void a transaction, it never hits the card at all, and the client has no transaction of any kind show up on their statement.

That's not true. Most banks actually HOLD the funds for X amount of days for an authorization, even if it's voided before posting. I know in one case a customer had a Walmart bank card and I voided the transaction before it posted, and it still took 7 business days for them to release the funds! I even called Walmart and they verified it was their policy. But a post then refund on the same bank account was done in 3 days.

So it mostly depends on the bank. Just keep that in mind when you do voids. Sometimes the authorization takes longer to drop off the customers card than if you just follow through with the transaction and refund it via after it posts.

FYI, I also use Auth.net.