V3.6.1 Preview Feedback

Matt

Renewals should be able to be processed automatically this way - when you approve the pending domain order and choose the registrar then the registrar used is saved with the rest of the domain's data. All our customers' domains are automatically renewed when appropriate, and we have the default registrars set to 'none' to prevent automatic registration without our approval.

Maybe there is something wrong with our system then because even when clients domains are all set to "ENOM" and the payment for renewal is automatically taken, the domain names do not renew.

The "Next due date" does change, but the "Renewal date" doesnt because the domain name doesnt get renewed automatically.

We have to manually go hit the renew button for every single domain name that needs renewing. Its a total pain that cost's us many man hours a month of careful checking.

Anyhow, We've now all seen the new 3.6.1 and all of us here have the same view on it.

A) Visually, its awful, far too much eye candy going on.

B) Why does the client profile main page now have all their hosting, domains, notes, contacts listed on it, then again in a tabbed section?

Either have it all broken down into tabs, or throw the whole lot onto 1 long page that takes forever to open as that one page is then querying the DB for info that you really dont need to see, or might not have requested.

Due to a few issues already (As mentioned above) we spend a lot of time checking client domain names, so we really dont want to see their hosting packages and all the notes and emails, those really dont need to get in the way at all and are so rarely requested, this will just slow the system down making lots of quiries that are not needed.

C) Why has the "Quick search" not been made permanently open, or the "intelligent search" been kept on every page

D) Admin homepage "private notes" really doesnt need to be full screen width and take priority over "to-do's" or unpaid invoices.

E) Why on earth would matt waste time creating graph's to show on the admin homepage that replicates exactly what the left hand coloumn is already telling us? We can already see whats what down the left hand side, it doesnt need duplicating, and transforming into big graphs in a position that force's us to view it every time we login.

If WHMCS admin users really cant figure out "whats what" using the figures given down the left, stick these graphs into the "Reports" section so the rest of us can just login and get to work.

Matt, please dont take any of this personally, but this is the general view from all of us (At my company) where we couldnt care less for bells and whistles on admin pages, we just want the product to work, and work well, but it seems your spending valuable development time "painting and polishing" when some general maintenance and a few repairs are more needed...

Lets iron out the work flows, and introduce functionality that we can all REALLY do with such as the enom domain name expiry sync function added, now there is proper reason to upgrade alone just for that 1 item.

Anyway, sorry to be brutal, but we just dont do "softly softly" we just speak our minds.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A) Visually, its awful, far too much eye candy going on.

This is really over dramatic...

B) Why does the client profile main page now have all their hosting, domains, notes, contacts listed on it, then again in a tabbed section?

Either have it all broken down into tabs, or throw the whole lot onto 1 long page that takes forever to open as that one page is then querying the DB for info that you really dont need to see, or might not have requested.

Due to a few issues already (As mentioned above) we spend a lot of time checking client domain names, so we really dont want to see their hosting packages and all the notes and emails, those really dont need to get in the way at all and are so rarely requested, this will just slow the system down making lots of quiries that are not needed.

Client summary page is for me the best page at WHMCS :D I realy love that new page. That page is just for quick look, without it we had to go through several tabs many times just to see something, and now everything will be there for a quick look.

C) Why has the "Quick search" not been made permanently open, or the "intelligent search" been kept on every page

I agree with this.

D) Admin homepage "private notes" really doesnt need to be full screen width and take priority over "to-do's" or unpaid invoices.

You can easy change that page if you don't like it.

E) Why on earth would matt waste time creating graph's to show on the admin homepage that replicates exactly what the left hand coloumn is already telling us? We can already see whats what down the left hand side, it doesnt need duplicating, and transforming into big graphs in a position that force's us to view it every time we login.

It's not that bad, it's even nice, but I agree that it's maybe taking too much space, and it's not realy needed, but if those were some very small graphs that will not take so much space it would be much better. But again you can remove those graphs from template file if you don't like them, so that is not realy a problem.

Dexus, I'm not being "Dramatic" nor "Over dramatic" at all, its simply an opinion, which is the exact purpose of this thread.

This extra eye-candy is duplicating things we can already see on the admin main page and already know about. If somebody cant figure out what the number mean down the left side and need pretty pictures then stick it in the reports section, but duplicating information and setting its priority over things like "unpaid invoices" isnt something that should be considered an essential upgrade when other issues are outstanding, or could be improved on.

The other points I was making, I'm well aware that we can remove them if need be, but I just dont undersntad the logical thinking that goes on that defines things like "Notes are more important than chasing unpaid invoices"

Its almost as if its been designed to be "Pretty" rather than as functional as possible, hence the duplication of information, and the extra graphs slowing everything down and getting in the way.

The client profile page is now so cluttered and everything squashed into much smaller spaces, it actuall is no longer a "Quick overview" but more of a "Sit and stare until you find it"

The client profile page is now so cluttered and everything squashed into much smaller spaces, it actuall is no longer a "Quick overview" but more of a "Sit and stare until you find it"

Everything is there like before, nothing is smaller, it's just even more clearer now, there are just some more stuff added under it, and you don't have to look at it and scroll down if you don't need that info, so everything is there like before in the first row, just don't scroll down and you will be fine... ;)

Dexus

What I actually said was "Smaller spaces", not that everything was smaller.

There is now far more information, contained within the same screen space, making it all more squashed into smaller spaces, cluttered or "too busy" if you like...

Plus of course, now when you load a clients profile page, your adding far more DB queries and slowing things down.

One of the things we really really love about WHMCS is that you only need to see what you ask for, not "absolutely everything" like modernbill does, which makes WHMCS faster and leaner and much more easier on the eyes when finding things and easier to work with.

I just wouldnt want to see WHMCS go down the same road modernbill have trying to show everything to everybody, regardless if you asked for it or not.

Modernbill is like father christmas trying to run a 400metre sprint against the WHMCS (Linford christie)

WHMCS is quick, easy to use, and VERY intuative to use because everything is kept simple and laid out and spaced out really well.

Cramming more info into the same space and pulling up more DB data when its not always needed or wanted just gets in the way.

How often do we need to see the clients "contacts" or notes, or to view every package and domain name a client has, all at once.... Rarely.

Thats our 2pence worth anyway. Matt wants feedback from his users, thats our feedback on it. If these graphical changes were not made at all, we would be giving a double thumbs up to 3.6.1

Yes, I also wouldn't wan't to see WHMCS go the Modernbill road, but I don't think this is the same road... I still think that new summary page is great and I just love it...

I need to see all clients additional contacts every time for every client, also I realy love to see admin note at summary page, so I don't have to go to profile page just to see if client have some admin note or not. I also like that I can see all services and domains client have on one page that is also just great, that was realy missing before, this page is just a dream come through for me... :D

Matt, please dont take any of this personally, but this is the general view from all of us (At my company) where we couldnt care less for bells and whistles on admin pages, we just want the product to work, and work well, but it seems your spending valuable development time "painting and polishing" when some general maintenance and a few repairs are more needed...

Lets iron out the work flows, and introduce functionality that we can all REALLY do with such as the enom domain name expiry sync function added, now there is proper reason to upgrade alone just for that 1 item.

Personally - I think this is a very very selfish thing to say - some people do want to see clients private notes, I know I do - its all about service and support!

I think the To-Do list is great! Very helpfull - especially when you are busy, sometime syou tend to forget things.

Anywho - what I / My company would like from WHMCS is to progress with more features. Now why dont we spice things up here abit - especially for UK Hosting Co's. I mean WHMCS is a UK company, so why not really kick it into touch for UK users Matt?

More things like Nominet EPP, being able to show your company number & Vat Number auto on the PDF invoice. Little things like this, make my life easier.

The support desk needs a kick up the rear end - because we work to ITIL - we need each ticket clock based and SLA based. We are also developing a inhouse monitoring tool - far superior to the current one that WHMCS offer.

Problem being now theres an upgrade - will we have to keep intergratinbg our monitoring tool with each new version?

C'mon guys lets get some new stuff please! :)

• WHMCS CEO

The beta download has been updated with the unencoded whoisservers.php file which resolves the lookups issue. The enom sync script is working in testing here and for other beta testers so you might want to open a ticket for that one.

Matt

Thanx for the quick response... There were quite a few updates in the beta zip file...

The whois lookups now work, but the enom sync scripts appears to only work from either the web or via wget (not via the php -q command line). Also, I'm not sure if it was intentional, but access to that script doesn't require authentication: http://www.site.com/whmcs/modules/registrars/enom/enomsync.php (I tried it against your demo site and it did run, with errors, but it did run). If all of the modules are only accessed via php include directives, can't the whole module directory be blocked from direct access via .htaccess?