Am im the only one feeling a bit scammed by multiple plugin vendors ?

lulzkiller

We use a bunch of plugins from some of the biggest companies out there - I'm sure you can guess who I'm talking about. The thing is, they operate on a "rental" model rather than just selling you the plugin. What I mean is, when your license expires, they don't just block access to support and updates. They go ahead and revoke the entire plugin, making it totally unusable unless you pay up again at whatever new price they feel like charging.

To me, this is a total hustle. We already bought these plugins, but now we're forced to keep paying over and over just to keep using them, even if we haven't even updated them in years. For example, one company jacked up their prices big time even though they haven't added anything new that works with our old version. But if we want the plugin to keep working, we have no choice but to renew at the higher price.

Now look at a company like Lagom - they do it right. When your license is up, you lose updates and support access but the plugin itself keeps working. I gotta ask - am I the only one who feels hustled by this "rental" model other companies are pushing? We already paid for these plugins initially, but now it's like we don't really own them and have to keep paying ransom just to use what we already bought. Feels shady to me, but maybe I'm overreacting? Let me know if you see it the same way or not.

So, something you bought with a limited license period is now out of "contract" and you feel that's unfair?
Was this "we will kill your plugin if you don't renew" explained in the terms when you bought it?

Please name the company rather than have us guess. I'd like to review the terms they have.

A lot of module companies offer an option for purchasing the source code.  You can pay a one time fee, and get a source code copy of the module.  While the cost for this is typically much higher, it is at least an option if you do not wish to "rent" the module.

It's the cost of running a business. 

If there's software your business requires in order to operate daily, you're make money from it and it's something you are not able to develop in-house, then you have to pay a 3rd-party developer. Simple as that.

However, price gouging companies that require your software and/or development services is unacceptable.