Stripe Payment Gateway Integration - Error related to 3D Secure in India

Hello everyone,

I have recently started using WHMCS and was trying to setup Stripe as my payment Gateway. However maybe because of Reserve Bank of India's  guidelines, I am being shown the following error message when someone attempts to make a payment via Stripe.
"PaymentMethods of type card cannot be attached to Customers directly without 3DS due to Indian payment regulations. Please instead provide the PaymentMethod and Customer alongside a SetupIntent or PaymentIntent with the `setup_future_usage` parameter. See https://support.stripe.com/questions/guide-for-saving-cards-in-india for more details." I tried setting 3DS rules on my stripe account to request for 3DS if the card's origin country is India and if the card supports 3DS. But I still see the error message.

Here's a screenshot showing the error message:
Screenshot-2023-05-27-at-4-28-33-PM.png

I reached out to Stripe's support and this was their response:

"it seems that you'll need to check with WHMCS to see if your plugin is designed for the Indian Market. That error is coming from WHMCS not Stripe. Even by following this message because of Financial regulation in India it wouldn't work I'm afraid. Check here: https://support.stripe.com/questions/rbi-e-mandate-regulations-context-and-faqs What that error is advising would be for saving a payment method so it could be charged later. To do that though in India you need to create e-mandates that is different to what the error is telling you to do: https://stripe.com/docs/invoicing/india-emandate-guide Basically you need to check with WHMCS and whether they work with the Indian market or use another plugin that is designed properly with Indian markets."

Has anyone from India figured how to integrate Stripe for their payments in WHMCS while still complying with all these guidelines?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

I am facing the same error....whmcs should look into this and add an option to ask the customer's content to save the payment method and update it to stripe.....or if you already have a resolution for the same..... please reply

• 3 weeks later...

We are having the same issue for some months now. We are running WHMCS v8.6.1. Any chance WHMCS could fix this issue to allow our Indian clients to pay the invoices via the client portal to automate the process. Currently we are collecting it via bank transfer and manually adding it to the invoice, is very time consuming. @WHMCS ChrisD @DennisHermannsen