Domain nameserver doesn't switch on transfer

FutureX

23 hours ago, DennisHermannsen said:

You'd think it was supposed to happen automatically but it isn't. I have no idea why WHMCS even allows the customer to enter the name servers when ordering a domain transfer.

What if a client is only transferring their domain registration, and not changing their hosting service? Automatically inserting predefined nameservers would likely cause downtime (unless DNS zones are copied exactly from existing nameservers).

Also, the length of time between a requested domain transfer and a completed domain transfer can vary (greatly) from TLD to TLD and also depending upon losing registrar (whether they allow quick transfers). These variables and the literally infinite number of other scenarios is why WHMCS (smartly!) provides the nameserver fields for transfers.

If your business never experiences any of these, and you prefer to forcefully insert predefined nameservers, you could (amongst other things) edit the orderforms template to remove the fields on domain transfers and populate your own preferred values.

14 minutes ago, radwebhosting said:

What if a client is only transferring their domain registration, and not changing their hosting service?

That's what these fields are for

billede.png.4344ec8dea9954f042e82be6b1a5b1f2.png

If they weren't meant to provide the user a way to set their name servers once the transfer completed, then what's the point of even having those fields?

14 minutes ago, radwebhosting said:

Also, the length of time between a requested domain transfer and a completed domain transfer can vary (greatly) from TLD to TLD

Which is why it makes sense to set the name servers on a successful transfer.

I don't have a  problem with this btw. Hexonet did a great job of cleaning up the process and it gave me the idea of implementing the same feature for our own registrar modules.
I did, however, have a problem with it a few years back. WHMCS support could not give me any explanation as to why those fields existed and I also didn't get a clear response as to whether the name servers were supposed to be updated automatically or not.
It feels like a legacy thing that was never removed. Nobody knows why it's there or what it does. You're also only able to set the name servers once per order which also doesn't make any sense.

But hey, if you ask WHMCS today why those fields are on the order formular, they're most likely going to tell you that it's so registrars has the ability to update the name servers after a successful transfer.

19 hours ago, DennisHermannsen said:

That's what these fields are for

billede.png.4344ec8dea9954f042e82be6b1a5b1f2.png

If they weren't meant to provide the user a way to set their name servers once the transfer completed, then what's the point of even having those fields?

Which is why it makes sense to set the name servers on a successful transfer.

I don't have a  problem with this btw. Hexonet did a great job of cleaning up the process and it gave me the idea of implementing the same feature for our own registrar modules.

I did, however, have a problem with it a few years back. WHMCS support could not give me any explanation as to why those fields existed and I also didn't get a clear response as to whether the name servers were supposed to be updated automatically or not.

It feels like a legacy thing that was never removed. Nobody knows why it's there or what it does. You're also only able to set the name servers once per order which also doesn't make any sense.But hey, if you ask WHMCS today why those fields are on the order formular, they're most likely going to tell you that it's so registrars has the ability to update the name servers after a successful transfer.

I guess personally, it makes more sense for them to be there and be filled with "non-pertinent" values, than for them to not be there and not be able to record nameserver changes if the owner did need/want to make a change.

Also, most third-party registrar APIs will require at least ns1 and ns2 values within a transfer request. By collecting nameserver values on the order form, by default, these required values are populated, improving compatibility and automation possibilities.

Edited by radwebhosting
Error