Changing Next Due Date generates new invoice

mystica555

I'm getting the issue where if I set a service Next Due Date some days in the future, because for example a server got provisioned 2-3 days after order, I get 2 invoices...One with the original billing date (signup date +1 month) and then a couple days later, a second invoice with the new specified-by-me NDD..

How is someone supposed to update the NDD without duplicating invoices?

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi @mystica555,

If the service does not have an invoice for a given Next Due Date, a new invoice will be generated. You can read more about that here: https://docs.whmcs.com/Billing_Logic#Invoicing

In this situation I'd wait until the client has paid their initial invoice before adjusting the Next Due Date forward/back those couple of days.

So heres the situation.

Customer orders server. Pays first invoice on the date of order. It's 100% paid up by the time I change the date, 2 or 3 days later, when I actually finish setting the server up.

Are you stating I need to wait for 1 _automated_ billing cycle after this initial invoice to be paid before changing it?

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi @mystica555,

Perhaps this is best explained via a worked example:

• The client places an order for product with a monthly billing cycle on 1st Jan 2022.
  • The Next Due Date on the service is 1st Jan 2022.
  • The client pays the initial invoice. This increments the Next Due Date to 1st Feb 2022.
  • The client uses the service  for a month.
  • The Next Due Date approaches, and by default the renewal invoice is generated 7 days before - 25th Jan 2022.

If you adjust the Next Due Date after payment and provisioning the service, this is an example of how WHMCS will operate:

• The client places an order for product with a monthly billing cycle on 1st Jan 2022.
  • The Next Due Date on the service is 1st Jan 2022.
  • The client pays the initial invoice. This increments the Next Due Date to 1st Feb 2022.
  • After provisioning the service, a member of staff adjusts the Next Due Date to 3rd Feb 2022.
  • The client uses the service  for a month.
  • The Next Due Date approaches, and by default the renewal invoice is generated 7 days before - 27th Jan 2022.

If your Invoice Generation setting for monthly services is quite high (eg. 28 or 29 days) that could cause two invoices being generated after changing the next due date in that way.