Maximum Advance Renewal is 180 Day(s)

Chris74

I was attempting to add years to a clients domain when I came across this bug / problem.

It's a Nominet domain (.co.uk)- it doesn't expire until March 2024 - but with Nominet you can register / renew domains to a maximum of 10 years - so I should be able to add 8 years to this domain. When I try to renew it in the cart, even for just  one year, an error message is displayed "Maximum Advance Renewal is 180 Day(s) " and the renewal cannot be added to the cart.

There is a grace period of 90 days for Nominet domains - but I'm not aware of any restriction that prevents you from renewing a domain until 180 days before it is due for renewal  - assuming that's what Maximum Advance Renewal is 180 Day(s) means.

I take that to mean "the domain is not within 6 months of renewal, so it cannot be renewed yet" - but this isn't a restriction put in place by Nominet at all. There are no such rules. If the client wants to add years, they must wait until after the 5th of July 2023. That makes no sense and it seems hard coded into WHMCS, because there is no setting I can find to modify this.

I contacted Nominet and they said no such restriction is in place. So this is quite a big issue really. A client could renew their domain for a year but then decide to add another 5 years and be unable to do so until six months have passed. This will result in lost revenue for us.

I searched this community for this issue and I can't see anyone else with the same problem.

Edited by Chris74

Thanks John but those are minimum restrictions. I don't see an option for maximum - can you explain the difference and whether these are different settings?

Also the documentation doesn't say specifically how to disable one of those settings - should I assume they should be set to zero in order to disable?

Edited by Chris74

EDIT...

Nominet replied to me again just now and said....

I am sorry for any confusion here,

Yes we have a restriction that you can only renew a domain name 182 days prior to a renewal date.

So the 180 days limit still stands and the restriction is still in place!

Edited by Chris74