Is it okay to still sell SpamExperts email filtering through WHMCS Marketplace?

meeven

I was surprised to find that I could still enable this product through WHMCS Marketplace.  The advantage of this is that they charge you a flat fee per domain for upto 1000 mailboxes.

But since SpamExperts got bought up by N-Able a few years ago (and started charging per mailbox), wondering if it would be wise to sell this. Will SpamExperts still support this?

4 hours ago, meeven said:

I was surprised to find that I could still enable this product through WHMCS Marketplace.  The advantage of this is that they charge you a flat fee per domain for upto 1000 mailboxes.

But since SpamExperts got bought up by N-Able a few years ago (and started charging per mailbox), wondering if it would be wise to sell this. Will SpamExperts still support this?

I assume they still have an old contract that has yet to expire so it would be safe if they still have the old pricing model, but don't count on it for the future as a business plan. It's very likely once WHMCS has to renew their contract, the price will change.

Edited by yggdrasil

19 hours ago, yggdrasil said:

I assume they still have an old contract that has yet to expire so it would be safe if they still have the old pricing model, but don't count on it for the future as a business plan. It's very likely once WHMCS has to renew their contract, the price will change.

Thank you very much. That's very sensible advice.

It's a shame, though, because the product is a good one and it was very affordable to small businesses because of the flat fee per domain.

39 minutes ago, meeven said:

Thank you very much. That's very sensible advice.

It's a shame, though, because the product is a good one and it was very affordable to small businesses because of the flat fee per domain.

I suspect the trend of companies like that is trying to charge you per use. Don't expect that flat fee per domain to last. It was never profitable in the long run because filtering is done per number of messages, the more mailboxes the more volume. It never made sense. This is different to licensing software, example, for WHMCS it cost the same if you have 1000 customers or 1. They just give you the same software and same license key, without increased costs on their part. Just like Microsoft would not charge you on the number of hours using Office 365. But in the case of a hosted spam filtering, they actually do all the work, not only processing each message but storing them as well.

If you decide to sell it today, you might get unhappy customers when you are forced to raise the pricing in the future. Personally I would just avoid it for that reason alone.

Edited by yggdrasil