Domain expired, status marked 'canceled"

bear

WHMCS 8.1.3, had a domain expire last night, and this morning see the status is "canceled" within WHMCS. Nothing specific in the automation log about it, the client has never logged in, and the domain had never been set to that status prior to today/last night. The invoice still exists, so I'm baffled as to what could have marked this as canceled. 
"Domain Grace and Redemption Fees" set to on, 30 days and no cost in either one. 

Any thoughts?

31 minutes ago, bear said:

WHMCS 8.1.3, had a domain expire last night, and this morning see the status is "canceled" within WHMCS. Nothing specific in the automation log about it, the client has never logged in, and the domain had never been set to that status prior to today/last night. The invoice still exists, so I'm baffled as to what could have marked this as canceled. 
"Domain Grace and Redemption Fees" set to on, 30 days and no cost in either one. 

Any thoughts?

Since they introduced the grace and redemption fees switch status this has never worked for me properly. Some domains are put into Redemption Period automatically respecting the number of days in my settings. Others stay in the Expired status for months. It's a miss and hit issue. I constantly must check expired domains and put them in the proper Redemption Period in case it does not change or proper Grace Period.

The way WHMCS synchronizes the status on domains has been broken for years in my experience. I never had one set to cancelled but changing to the status Grace Period or Redemption Status is broken in my installation from version to version. When it works it works fine, but for some reason it does not work on all domains that expire. Most stay in the Expired status and do not switch to Grace Period or Redemption.

Had a feeling. 
I've never had one expire on me until this week, where it happened on 2 installs a day or so apart. One canceled the invoice and marked the name expired, the other kept it and canceled the domain. 
Hooray?

Another compelling reason to continue the migration away, I suppose.