User profile email change

jmginer

But the user cannot change it,  only the staff can do it?
What is the reason for this implementation? I don't see a scenario where a user wants to change his e-mail and has to check it on 2 different sites.

Edited by jmginer

13 hours ago, jmginer said:

But the user cannot change it,  only the staff can do it?

it depends what you mean... a user can change their own *user* email from the client area by logging in clicking on "Your Profile"...

ijOOoVl.png

if they're the owner, or have the relevant permission, the user should also be able to click on "Account Details" and change the *client* email address too.

granted, I don't think an owner can change the email address of another user associated with that client... at least not currently, though I cannot see why a custom solution couldn't be made.

14 hours ago, jmginer said:

What is the reason for this implementation?

ours is not to reason why - it's just another example of a feature, half thought through, initially of questionable legality, partially & badly implemented - in about 3 years time, it will probably have all the features that it should have been launched with initially, including relevant and useful hook points and API... and then no doubt, they'll change it all again and the circus continues (though it's questionable how many will be left using WHMCS by that time!).

14 hours ago, jmginer said:

I don't see a scenario where a user wants to change his e-mail and has to check it on 2 different sites.

its a pity that didn't occur to WHMCS when they were developing the feature - because that's the reality... there is no direct link between a user email and a client email, so currently they would each have to be updated separately.

there are numerous strange quirks about the clients/accounts/users etc functionality that will ultimately have to be ironed out... but I wouldn't hold your breath for that process to conclude successfully any time soon.

Hello,

Yesterday I encountered the same issue.
There is no option at change 'owner' email at client side leaving them with broken email change.

The funny part?
If client need to 'reset password' of his profile, he cannot because the password reset can only be done from 'owner' email.

The Email change feature of WHMCS is broken and also "locked fields" are broken as well 

5 hours ago, Sufiyan Shaikh said:

There is no option at change 'owner' email at client side leaving them with broken email change.

on which version? also, no option in Lagom, or no option in general ?? I would think in v8.1+, if they logged in as the owner, they could change their email.

On 6/18/2021 at 6:50 PM, brian! said:

ijOOoVl.png

Got it under "Your profile" option.

One issue I am facing is that:
If I change Email from "Account Details", the email get changed with the new one.
But when I try to "Reset password" of the new email via "Forgot password" option, there is no email showing on the new email to reset the password.
Is this a bug?

3 minutes ago, Sufiyan Shaikh said:

If I change Email from "Account Details", the email get changed with the new one.
But when I try to "Reset password" of the new email via "Forgot password" option, there is no email showing on the new email to reset the password.
Is this a bug?

if you change the email in account details, then you're changing the Client email rather than the User email.... always remember that in v8, clients no longer login, only users login (and then optionally choose a client if multiple options available).

therefore, effectively in v8, clients don't have passwords - only users have passwords, and so the password reset should be associated with the user email address rather than the (newly changed) client email address.

17 minutes ago, brian! said:

therefore, effectively in v8, clients don't have passwords - only users have passwords, and so the password reset should be associated with the user email address rather than the (newly changed) client email address.

A bit confusing for clients.
To make it a more clear, I would like to show a "warning message" on https://example.com/clientarea.php?action=details page.

Should I modify clientareadetails.tpl or hook can be used? (using lagom theme)

warningmessage.png

I have the below hook to show message on checkout.

<?php

if (!defined("WHMCS"))
    die("This file cannot be accessed directly");

add_hook('ShoppingCartCheckoutOutput', 1, function($vars) {
    $return = '<div class="alert alert-warning text-center" role="alert"><b>Please Note:</b> </br> 1) <a href="https://myhostingbill.com/clientarea.php?action=details">This is a simple warning </div>';
    return $return;
});

What should I change ShoppingCartCheckoutOutput to so that it is shown where I want?

Edited by Sufiyan Shaikh
more details added

52 minutes ago, Sufiyan Shaikh said:

A bit confusing for clients.

indeed - as I said, a mess of a feature.

55 minutes ago, Sufiyan Shaikh said:

Should I modify clientareadetails.tpl or hook can be used? (using lagom theme)

either - whichever you're happier with.

31 minutes ago, Sufiyan Shaikh said:

What should I change ShoppingCartCheckoutOutput to so that it is shown where I want?

the location of that hook's output is defined in the template - so you would either have to move where its output by modifying the template, or by using JS in another output hook.

• 4 months later...

Sorry for dredging up a (reasonably) old post...but wow, what a mess.

Just upgraded our development instance, considering upgrading from 7.10.3 -> 8.3 - some of our customers can just about turn on a computer on a good day, there is no way they're going to handle all the various Account, Profile, User (even with invitations switched off) and not get in a muddle and vent at us.

... am in utter shock, but not shocked.  For a 1-account-1-login type system that we need, it seems the options are to:

a) Upgrade to 8.3 and wait for a deluge of users to change email addresses in 1 place, not the next, invoices go to the wrong place, etc.  History teaches us that it doesn't matter how many banners you place to guide users, they get ignored.

b) Stay on 7.10 and hope this changes at some point, although as far as I can tell this has been in place since 8.0?  So not much chance.

c) Stay on 7.10 until we can migrate to something else... but %$£@

Edited by SVCode