Domain sync, with Namesilo

bear

Received an email about my domain sync from WHMCs this morning, and it was blank. No results at all in it. 
Looked at the log (worried something broke), and all the domains in there are at Namesilo, as we move more off of Namecheap.
Blank?

Seems that's the "fix" for the complaints about the former sync showing "not supported by registrar" since they hadn't included Namesilo in the checks. Just suppress any domains not in the "list" in that cron we can't fix or see because it's encrypted...
The reasoning, when asked to include it was "Namesilo has a sync script, so why should we make one for it?".
Why? So there's ONE cron running that checks them all, maybe? Because it's the job of syncing domain dates that WHMCS is supposed to be doing? Surely with the major pricing increase this is now affordable dev time?

</rant>

Now I'm confused. Domain sync cron email this morning was empty, but had this in the logs (for each of the full list of names it checked):

Domain Sync Error. Domain: 'domain.com', registrar: 'namesilo'

This afternoon it ran again, and it has a full list of names in the email it sent, with this (same as before version 8.1.3):
- domain.com: Sync Not Supported by Registrar Module

Logs showed just: 
Automated Task: Starting Domain Status Synchronisation
Domain Sync Cron: Completed

Be nice to know what's going on here. 

Bah, never mind. I'll figure it out. 

Edited by bear

22 hours ago, bear said:

The reasoning, when asked to include it was "Namesilo has a sync script, so why should we make one for it?".

wow, they said that?

mind you, it's taken them 9 months to take, sorry absorb, my "Login As Owner" open in new window hook idea and add the feature natively to v8.2 - I wondered why I saw their devs looking at the thread... the changelog revealed their reason! imitation, flattery etc.

23 hours ago, bear said:

Why? So there's ONE cron running that checks them all, maybe? Because it's the job of syncing domain dates that WHMCS is supposed to be doing? Surely with the major pricing increase this is now affordable dev time?

there's a 9-year old feature request to have WHMCS natively support NameSilo.... 56 votes and declined. 🙄

https://requests.whmcs.com/idea/add-native-support-for-namesilo-registrar

I think NameSIlo used to post that link on their site to encourage their users to vote for it - looks like they don't bother now.

there's also a similar 3-year old request with 30 votes that seemingly has no status - it's not declined, nor under consideration - quite bizarre, sorry I mean uncoordinated, to have differing statuses on them.

16 hours ago, bear said:

Be nice to know what's going on here. 

are all the ones it checked under Namesilo or are some of them still with NameCheap ?

btw - the Namesilo sync script was updated a few months ago, so I assume it would work fine if you chose to run it using an additional cron.

Yes, that was the result when I asked; "Namesilo has a script for this, so why should we make one" (paraphrasing there, don't recall exact wording and can't be fussed to review it).

I got it figured out in the end, I think. I was missing the namesilo folder when I upgraded (confusing as to why it was running at all via cron and knowing which names, etc). Stuck that back in and changed the cron to use the php select version things are on at the moment and it went back to "normal" with Namesilo domains "not supported...".
Frustrating. 

Maybe *ANOTHER* feature request....
I kid...I kid...