Price based on country

Davor

Hello,

is there a way to define price based on where the user is from, maybe geoip. I see that there is a way to do it maybe with currency. To have different prices for each currency and to lock the visitor with GeoiIP module to only have the currency for his geo. Is this the right way or is there a way to have all prices in USD but to change the price based on the country that the visitor is coming?

Thank you, Davor

Let me quote something I wrote somewhere else. If you are from Europe...

EU Regulations impose that purchases without cross-border delivery (eg. hosting, domains) should have access to the same prices as local buyer. Such rules also applies to promotions and special offers.

The only exception are localised versions of a site (eg. Amazon IT, US, DE). In this case one is allowed to charge different prices as end-user can switch to one brand to another.

Just keep in mind that automatic redirection without explicit permission is denied (only if you have web sites with different prices).

Only very few people are aware of these rules. For sure big companies like GoDaddy and Amazon know that. That's why they operate using multiple websites.

As for your other question about how to do that in WHMCS, I confirm you that it is possible but I won't share any details. Nothing against you 🙂

Edited by Kian

Thanks guys for your responses.

Kian I must admit I didn't know that about EU and I'm from EU. 

Would it be acceptable if I have 3 different servers, one in US, one in EU and one in Asia and set them up as different product and then price them differently?

Just in case, here's the link to Price Discrimination section from europa.eu.

29 minutes ago, Davor said:

Would it be acceptable if I have 3 different servers, one in US, one in EU and one in Asia and set them up as different product and then price them differently?

I don't think so. That's not about server location but you being an EU-based company. Anyway I suppose there's a workaround. As long as you respect Automatic redirection on a website, you can have multiple "versions" of your website with different pricing. You should do like OVH.

As an Italian citizen I can freely purchase anything I want from ovh.fr, ovh.de, ovh.it etc. Let's take a look at VPS. The same VPS costs:

In essence you can have different prices for each country but you can't force people to use this or that website (or pricing structure) based on their location.

6 hours ago, Davor said:

Price discrimination is forbidden just for EU citizens and residents. So, your prices need to be the very same for France, Italy, Germany... But for Japan, USA, UK you're free to charge whatever prices you want.