Older Announcements not showing

As the title says, when I click on "Older Announcements" I can only see the following message: No announcements to display

However, im sure there are many announcements over the years (I can even see the pagination at the bottom).

Any idea what is happening? Is this a bug?

We are using the new theme Twenty One (without modifications) and latest WHMCS.

older-announcementspng.png

12 hours ago, hkhost said:

However, im sure there are many announcements over the years (I can even see the pagination at the bottom).

I don't think it's a v8 bug as I can see it in v7.10 too.

a) have you checked to see that you do have announcements from before Dec 19 and that they're marked as published.

b) does playing with the Friendly URL settings change anything ?

either there are announcements before 2019 and this is a bug, or there aren't and the pagination showing is a bug (it didn't show in v7.8)..... of course, if there aren't any before 2019, then it's a design flaw that the older announcements sidebar link even exists.

Hello

9 hours ago, brian! said:

a) have you checked to see that you do have announcements from before Dec 19 and that they're marked as published.

Yes, we have around 200 published announcements dating back from 2011 (example attached).

9 hours ago, brian! said:

b) does playing with the Friendly URL settings change anything ?

It is set to Friendly index.php and im not comfortable changing this setting as all other stuff is working fine.

Anyway, the correct behavior should show all announcements no matter the date. Can someone from WHMCS please check?

announcements.png

7 hours ago, hkhost said:

It is set to Friendly index.php and im not comfortable changing this setting as all other stuff is working fine.

I absolutely understand mate - my dev is on that setting and if I set it to either of the other two, the announcements page returns a 404.

Anyway, the correct behavior should show all announcements no matter the date.

that's true - but why I questioned the friendly url setting is because I can see the template is using routepath... and I consider that to be a sensitive, buggy, shrouded method that I don't trust.

Can someone from WHMCS please check?

the quicker solution might be to report it as a bug / open a ticket directly and see what they say.

FWIW, there are multiple bugs in play here.... looking at a long-time user's WHMCS site, I can see that their announcements go back to 2009, but I can't get past November 2019 via the sidebar.... I can see how to access the older posts in the client area, but it's not intuitive and fundamentally as you say, it's not following the correct, and more important from their point of view, intended behaviour.

it would be fixable with a hook because I can sort of see where it's going wrong, but would be easier to get a decision from them as to whether they consider this a bug - it's the sort of situation that could be hotfixed quickly if they put their minds to it as it would have limited impact outside of the announcements page with regards to testing.

On 3/13/2021 at 12:20 PM, brian! said:

it's the sort of situation that could be hotfixed quickly if they put their minds to it as it would have limited impact outside of the announcements page with regards to testing.

I also reported a bug a couple of days regarding also quick to fix, but in my opinion there are few things that is important enought to make hotfix. Most of the bugs will just have to wait until a new minor release of whmcs is coming. There was this wish many years ago that they would create a public bugtracker so people actually could see things that was effecting others.. as now bugs are reported and many are newer mention here in the community.

the sad truth is that it often feels that WHMCS' default position is to keep everything secret - unless there is an overwhelming reason to make it public... and even then, only to publish in a limited way.

the situation should really be the other way around, with WHMCS being transparent and having nothing to fear from doing so.... sadly, the current staff don't have that within them and so the situation will never change.

• 3 weeks later...