Only one renewal order

yggdrasil

Technically this is not a bug but from a usability point it makes little sense. WHMCS should not allow a user to create a domain renewal order if another one was created previously and is still unpaid. Some people don't understand the concept of paying the invoice and when their card or existing payment method fails, instead of going to the invoice to attempt the payment again they generate a new renewal order. If it fails, they go back and generate a new one again...In some cases I end up with 10 renewal invoices for the same domain when all they wanted was to renew the domain once. This is annoying when you then have to cancel them.

1 hour ago, yggdrasil said:

Technically this is not a bug but from a usability point it makes little sense.

only an old hand in this place would know that wasn't a bug but a design flaw. 🙂

1 hour ago, yggdrasil said:

WHMCS should not allow a user to create a domain renewal order if another one was created previously and is still unpaid. Some people don't understand the concept of paying the invoice and when their card or existing payment method fails, instead of going to the invoice to attempt the payment again they generate a new renewal order. If it fails, they go back and generate a new one again...In some cases I end up with 10 renewal invoices for the same domain when all they wanted was to renew the domain once. This is annoying when you then have to cancel them.

I suppose that would be a hook that loops through the $renewals array and checks whether there is a (recent) unpaid invoice for each domain, and if so, removes them from the array.

personally, this was always a feature that we kept disabled... there were always multiple flaws with it, and it was less hassle to just let WHMCS send domain renewal invoices as normal without allowing users access to renew domains on demand.

8 hours ago, brian! said:

only an old hand in this place would know that wasn't a bug but a design flaw. 🙂

I suppose that would be a hook that loops through the $renewals array and checks whether there is a (recent) unpaid invoice for each domain, and if so, removes them from the array.

personally, this was always a feature that we kept disabled... there were always multiple flaws with it, and it was less hassle to just let WHMCS send domain renewal invoices as normal without allowing users access to renew domains on demand.

Actually, yes I was going to make a simple hook, to check if an order is pending and block new orders until its paid but as you said I'm very concerned this might break future orders with a future update. Since hooks tend to break easily.

16 hours ago, yggdrasil said:

Since hooks tend to break easily.

badly written hooks will break... as can any hook, or template customisation, be broken by a change of method / coding by WHMCS...

for this situation, I wouldn't overly worry about that, it wouldn't be a difficult hook to write and if WHMCS don't see this as a bug, then it's a lottery as to whether it would ever get "fixed".