Selecting a TLD from Hosting Packages

Craft

When any customer wants to purchase a new hosting package, if he wants to purchase a new domain for his hosting in the next step, he writes his domain name then he selects the TLD from a dropdown list.

The issue that we have more than 500 TLDs, and all the TLDs are starting with a DOT, so the customer can't type the first letter of the TLD to filter the list.

How can I remove this DOT?

Register.png

5 minutes ago, Craft said:

How can I remove this DOT?

by changing one line in the configureproductdomain.tpl template...

<option value="{$listtld}"{if $listtld eq $tld} selected="selected"{/if}>{$listtld}</option>

to...

<option value="{$listtld}"{if $listtld eq $tld} selected="selected"{/if}>{$listtld|ltrim:'.'}</option>

lZZ1rxu.png

it shouldn't have any impact on the order process as you're just changing the label rather than the value being passed through the forms.

8 hours ago, brian! said:

by changing one line in the configureproductdomain.tpl template...

<option value="{$listtld}"{if $listtld eq $tld} selected="selected"{/if}>{$listtld}</option>

to...

<option value="{$listtld}"{if $listtld eq $tld} selected="selected"{/if}>{$listtld|ltrim:'.'}</option>

lZZ1rxu.png

it shouldn't have any impact on the order process as you're just changing the label rather than the value being passed through the forms.

Perfect, it works 🙂

This file could be changed or restored to the default when updating WHMCS to a new version?

Can I add a DOT before the drop-down list? (After the text-field of the domain)

Edited by Craft

14 hours ago, Craft said:

Perfect, it works 🙂

never in doubt! 🙂

This file could be changed or restored to the default when updating WHMCS to a new version?

yes - updating WHMCS would overwrite this change (if the orderform theme hasn't been renamed) - but my thinking was...

• the order process uses the original value of $listtld, so a hook that modified those values might prevent the order process from working (it might not - but I didn't see any point in testing it).
  • almost certainly, there will be no more v8.0 releases - and v8.1 is scheduled to include bootstrap, new client theme and updated order forms - so any hook solution that works today might not be applicable in v8.1 and if that's the case, you're no further forward by using a hook.... and I wouldn't expect 8.1 to go GA for at least four months from now.
  • assuming a hook that modified the array would prevent successful ordering, then you're looking at using JS to loop through the dropdown and change the labels... i'll guaratee that's a lot more code than just using |ltrim:'.' in the template (and again might not work in v8.1 where who knows what sort of bizarre TLD selection choices WHMCS might come up with! 😲)

which is a long winded way to suggest that you put up with editing the template for now, and then see what options are available in v8.1 if you still need/want/can do this then.

Can I add a DOT before the drop-down list? (After the text-field of the domain)

I suspect that you would have to edit the existing div sizes to create the space for you to be able to do that.

1 hour ago, brian! said:

yes - updating WHMCS would overwrite this change (if the orderform theme hasn't been renamed) - but my thinking was...

Is there an option to create a custom orderform to not be overwrite with the future updates?, same as creating a custom template rather than (six) template.

1 hour ago, brian! said:

I suspect that you would have to edit the existing div sizes to create the space for you to be able to do that.

Forget, it's not a big issue!

22 hours ago, Craft said:

Is there an option to create a custom orderform to not be overwrite with the future updates?, same as creating a custom template rather than (six) template.

there's nothing to stop you renaming/duplicating standard_cart and modifying the duplicate - the problem them comes with updates and having to compare WHMCS changes to your own custom templates.

https://blog.whmcs.com/112975/customising-templates-the-easy-way

3 hours ago, brian! said:

there's nothing to stop you renaming/duplicating standard_cart and modifying the duplicate - the problem them comes with updates and having to compare WHMCS changes to your own custom templates.

https://blog.whmcs.com/112975/customising-templates-the-easy-way

Ok, and after duplicating standard_cart folder with another name, how can I choose to use the new folder instead of standard_cart?

15 hours ago, Craft said:

Ok, and after duplicating standard_cart folder with another name, how can I choose to use the new folder instead of standard_cart?

the same as you would with any orderform template - you would either define it as the default orderform from setup -> general settings -> ordering, and/or you would individually assign it to be used in specific product groups.

4 hours ago, brian! said:

the same as you would with any orderform template - you would either define it as the default orderform from setup -> general settings -> ordering, and/or you would individually assign it to be used in specific product groups.

Got it.

I created a new folder and I added these files only, is that's enough? I just need to modify this file only (configureproductdomain.tpl)

custom standart_cart.png

5 hours ago, brian! said:

you might need the css/js folders too.

Nope, because each cart of the other 7 carts are having their own css/js folders with their own custom codes.

So, if we don't need to overwrite any css/js of the standard_cart, then we shouldn't create the css/js folders.

Thank you 🙂