Auto generate a password while creating a new client in version 8

ramf

Hi,
In version 8.0.4 when I try to add a new client I have to add a password during the client creation process or else I get error while In version 7.10.2 I can create a new client without adding such a password.

The solution by WHMCS is:

you can put in any placeholder data as a password then visit the Users tab of that profile and click the down arrow to the right of the Owner user and click to send a password reset email

In my opinion this is so much more work than the process in version 7.10.2 - you made something simple to very cumbersome...

And there is a security issue here... If our agent will have to manually insert a password and then manually send a password reset email - I guess that the password will not be a strong one, and maybe even the same password for several customers, and I guess that some of the customers will not go through the change password process - so in the end we will have clients / user with a week / repetitive password and that's a huge security risk!

So in version 8 you created a cumbersome process that will also cause a security risk - This is bad....

Also please note that when adding a user to the account - we don't have to create a password, an email is sent to the user and he can use WHMCS password generator to create his password. So the only place we have to manually add a password is when we create the first user / client.

Please consider implementing one of the following solutions ASAP:

1. This is the best option: Auto generate a strong password for each user. If the user is requesting a different password he can do it via the client area or by asking us to send him the reset password email - but the baseline will be secure password. in this way you can remove the password field from the create new client process.
  2. Same as above - but without removing the password field - so if we want to create a custom password when creating a new client / user. if we will leave this field empty the system will auto-generate a strong password for the client.
  3. Use the built-in password generator in the browser (chrome for instance ) - so when the admin will click on the password field the browser will automatically offer a strong password.
  4. Add the WHMCS generate password button to the admin side so when an admin is creating a new client he will be able to generate a strong random password as part of the client creation process (just like the one other users will have at the client side).

Any way - forcing us to manually create a password for the customer is wrong and cumbersome and really a security risk.

Can you please share your thoughts and also vote here:
https://requests.whmcs.com/topic/auto-generate-a-password-while-creating-a-new-client-in-version-8

Regards,
Ram

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2020 at 10:43 AM, ramf said:

This is the best option: Auto generate a strong password for each user. If the user is requesting a different password he can do it via the client area or by asking us to send him the reset password email - but the baseline will be secure password. in this way you can remove the password field from the create new client process.

Thats a good option. Dont think anyone is going to bother doing that from whmcs internally tho... Maybe someone can come up with a hook.

Forums are full of issues and comments about the current way password are implemented or should i say how they have stripped it back in prep for SaaS ersion (as some have said)...

5 hours ago, ramf said:

What is this  SaaS version?  

speculation discussed in another thread....

5 hours ago, ramf said:

Is there any plans to change the way  WHMCS is working from a self hosting software to a SaaS  hosted by WHMCS?

not in the short-term I wouldn't have thought, but who knows in the future. 🔮