Upgrading from 7.1.2 to 7.10.2

Hi,

I haven't updated whmcs for a while (mostly fearing to break addons compatibility) but due to changes in paypal/stripe API's I am now forced to if I don't want to get into payment issues.

I was wondering if there was a risk to upgrade directly from my version to latest or if I had to upgrade progressively like 7.2, 7.3 etc to 7.10.2

Any recommendation?

Thanks!

20 minutes ago, cyberhostpro said:

HI

Make sure you take a backup before you upgrade.  

For payment methods do you use any 3rd party gateways or are they all native WHMCS gateways?

I will certainly take backups but I was wondering if upgrading from my version directly to the latest was in theory even possible

I am using a couple of non vital third party payment gateways I will have to update. I believe I cannot simply update the payment gateways modules without updating whmcs ?

2 hours ago, dimitrifrom31 said:

I haven't updated whmcs for a while (mostly fearing to break addons compatibility) but due to changes in paypal/stripe API's I am now forced to if I don't want to get into payment issues.

that assumes that v7.10.2 doesn't have payment issues itself - there are fixes in the v8 betas for v7.10..2 PP/Stripe bugs - not that you should ever upgrade a production to a beta - and I wouldn't expect to see v8 / v8.0.1 GA until end of this month or October now, so that might be out of your upgrade time-frame.

2 hours ago, dimitrifrom31 said:

I was wondering if there was a risk to upgrade directly from my version to latest or if I had to upgrade progressively like 7.2, 7.3 etc to 7.10.2

you should be able to do it in one jump - upgrading to each major version sequentially manually would just increase the risk of issues occurring and will be unnecessary.

1 hour ago, dimitrifrom31 said:

I will certainly take backups but I was wondering if upgrading from my version directly to the latest was in theory even possible

backups of both files AND database.

if you get your license direct from WHMCS, you might considered getting a free developers license - that way you could mirror your current install/database and update the mirror to see if any issues occur before updating the production install.

1 hour ago, dimitrifrom31 said:

I am using a couple of non vital third party payment gateways I will have to update. I believe I cannot simply update the payment gateways modules without updating whmcs ?

you could, but gateway modules are written/updated for a specific WHMCS release in mind, so you ideally need to use the version for your current installed release...

always get in the habit of checking for addon module updates before updating core WHMCS - it will save everyone a lot of stress if you are cautious and test before upgrading.