What is causing this?

When I check the Stripe logs I see some charges are billed as:

COMPANY-NAME SHOPPING CART

Being company-name what I have on my billing settings for WHMCS for my legal company name and what customers show see on their CC statements.

But if someone tries to pay from the shopping cart after checkout, WHMCS is passing the string $LANG.carttitle to the "statement_descriptor" API on Stripe. This is a nasty horrible bug that is causing me failed sales.

This is wrong. It does not seem to happen when billed manually from the admin side or customers paying invoices. Only if they try to pay directly from the shopping card.

I don't want Shopping Cart to be passed, there is no company called that way and the billing fails because banks flag this as fraud and reject the charge. Why isn't WHMCS properly respecting what I have set on my Stripe module and passing this header title to the statement descriptor as the company name?

Can someone help me debug this? Not help me fix this but test on your installation if this is also happening.

Edited by yggdrasil

1 minute ago, yggdrasil said:

given what you said in the other thread, i'm gulping before giving this advice - you might have to upgrade. 😲😲

what you're seeing is a bug that was marked as fixed in later versions....

I think you have two options here - upgrade to v7.8.3 and then apply the hotfix below (and possibly any other v7.8.3 hotfixes you think might be applicable)...

... or upgrade to v7.9 (which should include the above hotfix) or later.

Thank you Brian! 😍

I did search the change logs before and I could not find anything related to this, not sure how you found that this quickly. I feel better now that I know this is a reported bug because strangely on my install this happens only when someone switches the language on the shopping cart, and I was not sure if this was some change I made or something deeper in the core (which is closed and I cannot search for fixes)

I'm trying to avoid upgrading WHMCS again because all they do is just add more bugs with every release and usually it brings nothing to the table to me or on the user side.

1 minute ago, yggdrasil said:

I did search the change logs before and I could not find anything related to this, not sure how you found that this quickly.

it's the curse of the internal archive of threads from this place in my head... i'll need to write a purge script at some point! 🤪

2 minutes ago, yggdrasil said:

I'm trying to avoid upgrading WHMCS again because all they do is just add more bugs with every release and usually it brings nothing to the table to me or on the user side.

totally agree... hence why I included the least worst option of upping to 7.83 and hotfixing, rather than having to deal with anything they might have added (or removed) in v7.9 or v7.10

On 7/1/2020 at 8:11 AM, brian! said:

it's the curse of the internal archive of threads from this place in my head... i'll need to write a purge script at some point! 🤪

totally agree... hence why I included the least worst option of upping to 7.83 and hotfixing, rather than having to deal with anything they might have added (or removed) in v7.9 or v7.10

Are there any nasty bugs I should be aware on 7.9 or 7.10?

I'm trying to decide if upgrading to 7.83 only and stay on the safe way or jump to the latest completely. I also noticed another horrible bug with upgrades on this release. By nasty I mean not visual things that affect the user or admin side but stuff like this that affects billings or can cause money loss.

1 hour ago, yggdrasil said:

Are there any nasty bugs I should be aware on 7.9 or 7.10?

i'd rule out upping to the short-lived v7.9 releases - that had a log of bugs with were "fixed" in v7.10, so no point jumping on to that boat because if you run into one of the bugs, then you'd be forced to update again to v7.10

1 hour ago, yggdrasil said:

I'm trying to decide if upgrading to 7.83 only and stay on the safe way or jump to the latest completely.

you've been around long enough to know that all WHMCS releases are bugged - each new release fixes some bugs introduced in the previous version, creates new ones (often in features that aren't listed as being updated in the changelog!) and constantly overlooks the long-standing bugs - so  it's just a case of choosing if a release has something you can't live without, or fixes an issue that you need fixing (and if the latter, that something else you need hasn't been removed or broken).

if staying where you are isn't an option, then it's a choice between v7.8.3+HF, or v7.10.2 - I can't see much point in choosing a v7.9 release or an earlier v7.10 release.

it's difficult to advise without knowing your install and setup, but one factor worth considering is whether any third-party addons you have active are incompatible with v7.9 or later.. you'd be very unlucky for an addon to become incompatible between v7.8 and v7.8.3, though it would be worth double checking first.

if there are existing bugs in v7.10.2 (which there undoubtedly are), they're not going to get fixed until v8 now - so that' going to be Autumn at best.

2 hours ago, yggdrasil said:

I also noticed another horrible bug with upgrades on this release. By nasty I mean not visual things that affect the user or admin side but stuff like this that affects billings or can cause money loss.

there are no safe risk-free versions to upgrade to - if there ever was one, it was a long long time ago.

2 minutes ago, brian! said:

i'd rule out upping to the short-lived v7.9 releases - that had a log of bugs with were "fixed" in v7.10, so no point jumping on to that boat because if you run into one of the bugs, then you'd be forced to update again to v7.10

you've been around long enough to know that all WHMCS releases are bugged - each new release fixes some bugs introduced in the previous version, creates new ones (often in features that aren't listed as being updated in the changelog!) and constantly overlooks the long-standing bugs - so  it's just a case of choosing if a release has something you can't live without, or fixes an issue that you need fixing (and if the latter, that something else you need hasn't been removed or broken).

if staying where you are isn't an option, then it's a choice between v7.8.3+HF, or v7.10.2 - I can't see much point in choosing a v7.9 release or an earlier v7.10 release.

it's difficult to advise without knowing your install and setup, but one factor worth considering is whether any third-party addons you have active are incompatible with v7.9 or later.. you'd be very unlucky for an addon to become incompatible between v7.8 and v7.8.3, though it would be worth double checking first.

if there are existing bugs in v7.10.2 (which there undoubtedly are), they're not going to get fixed until v8 now - so that' going to be Autumn at best.

there are no safe risk-free versions to upgrade to - if there ever was one, it was a long long time ago.

You are probably right and jumping to the latest release is probably the safest way and just cross fingers to see what is not working afterwards. I guess I'm going to really enjoy my weekend 🙄😪 after merging all changes and checking every single feature...

• 4 weeks later...

I want to update this, the bug is still not solved. Still losing Stripe sales and customers 🤬🤬🤬

On the description of charges the cart title is still displayed when not using the default English language. The statement descriptor while it does not show the cart title page any more its still wrong and shows something else like twice the company name and then adds C or Cart in the end instead of the WHMCS setting for Stripe. This is also causing failed or rejected payments with banks fraud systems as its constantly using a different description for the company charges. This seems to be happen only with the card and not automated cron payments.

I also report that the bug that rejects credit cards (without actually sending them to Stripe for processing) still exists. I still get complaints about people that try multiple cards which are rejected on WHMCS, but they are not even logged on Stripe. This means WHMCS is not sending the data properly to the Stripe API.

I suspect when WHMCS fixed this they did not consider people using other languages in the cart.

It seems I did all the upgrade for nothing.

on previous modules it was far cleaner, you had

business entitiy name (single name) that appears on card

and the item description (separate)

now it mixes them both into the same field it doesn't look good

so before i could have

BUSINESSNAME

MEMBERSHIP# 1234567

now it adds it all together and cuts the characters off so it shows as

BUSINESSNAME MEM

BERSHIP# 1234567

The 2 fields should be separate not merged into one for better clarity to customers i would think ?