How to block people from a specific country

ocastaned

As far as I know there are modules (probably 2 in Marketplace) that allow/disallow specific payment gateways depending on customer's country with geolocalisation. For example let's say that you're getting a lot of chargebacks from Russia. Instead of blocking the entire country, just turn off PayPal for Russians. This way a legit customer from Russia can still place an order using wire transfer.

Alternatively you can code your own solution using geolocalisation tools like MaxMind (it's free). With a bunch of action hooks and PHP scripts you can get the same result.

Edited by Kian

16 hours ago, Kian said:

As far as I know there are modules (probably 2 in Marketplace) that allow/disallow specific payment gateways depending on customer's country with geolocalisation.

for completeness, i'll post a couple of example links - because it's a notoriously pain in the proverbial to search MP if you don't know the right term to use, or one that doesn't give hundreds of results. 🙄

Payment Gateway Allocator For WHMCS (ModulesGarden)

Our module will let you determine which payment gateways appear to your clients in your WHMCS order form depending on the chosen country and even the state. What is more, our product supports all kinds of redirect and credit card payment gateways as well as countries and states from all over the world! Functioning of the entire module is fully automated and does not require from you any additional action once configured.

Payment Gateway Allocator (possibly outdated)

Our Payment Gateway Allocator is a module that not only helps you restrict payment gateways to specific countries but also by placing minimum order amount criteria. This way you're making sure that customers aren't worried if a particular gateway is compatible with their country or not and proceed to order conveniently.

there would be other ways to block users from a particular country, but your issue seems to be from existing clients rather than trying to block new ones.

16 hours ago, Kian said:

For example let's say that you're getting a lot of chargebacks from Russia. Instead of blocking the entire country, just turn off PayPal for Russians. This way a legit customer from Russia can still place an order using wire transfer.

.. and if the client was logged in, then that's a relatively simple hook (similar to ones that i've posted previously).

16 hours ago, Kian said:

Alternatively you can code your own solution using geolocalisation tools like MaxMind (it's free). With a bunch of action hooks and PHP scripts you can get the same result.

i'd go along with that - numerous free GeoLo tools that can be incorporated into these hooks to determine a users location and react accordingly.