HOW TO: Include Terms & Conditions on Order/Register Page instead of a link

wizzy420

@Flip - No response hey!!

I notice that your pirate forum (or rather site) has been now been suspended. That's good news for most of the developers here including Matt, at least we know now that there's 1 less site stealing our work.

Lets hope that it doesn't pop its ugly head up again.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would think an extra staement just above (and replacing) the filename statement would suffice eg

{if $gid eq "001" or $gid eq "002"}{fetch file='filename1.txt'}{else}

{if $gid eq "004" or $gid eq "003"}{fetch file='filename2.txt'}{else}

{fetch file='filename3.txt'}{/if}

Although my hack would give you either, or, not multiple TOS

And I haven't checked whther the $gid variable is carried to the checkout page . ;)

Cheers Zorro, posted earlier it could, as you know I fall over on the code......

love it when you will my gaps :D

@Sparky....... well said..... Love your mods, hence payiing for them. Last thing needed is some filthy theif nicking them..... or any mod made here for that matter. :D

Edited by ChrisGooding

• 3 weeks later...
My first contribution, I hope I'm not rehashing. If you comment or suggest changes, I will edit this post to incorporate them.

One thing I have learned from working with and owning Internet Service providers (since 1993 or so) is - when you have the T&C on the page that asks for acceptance, it goes over a lot better in a courtroom than if you had a link.

This tutorial explains how to get rid of the hyperlink to the T&C, and replace it with the actual T&C text - displayed and scrollable right above the acceptance check mark.

You will need to modify two files. Here I show the links to the files in the distribution, but I highly recommend using the custom template system so you can avoid changing files which may change with an upgrade:

templates/orderforms/cart/viewcart.tpl

templates/default/clientregister.tpl

Backup! Copy each file so if you make a mistake you can revert. I copy mine to originalfilename.tpl.orig

Now, apply the following change to both files:

1. Open the file with an editor
  2. Go to the following chunk, near the bottom:

3. First, modify the code to read as:

4. What you have done is add a text area with a scroll bar containing your sites T&C and AUP. As most T&C/AUP texts are very long, the text box keeps the footprint on the page to a reasonable size.
  5. Now, get rid of the link to your terms/AUP, and replace it with plain text:

should be changed to (feel free to choose your own words):

6. Remove all of your templates_c/* files (BE CAREFUL! That is templates_c, not templates!)
  7. Go sign up and see if you are happy

Anyone can confirm this code works?

I tried and did not see any changes.

• 1 month later...

I understand everything in the OP's instructions except:

[*]Remove all of your templates_c/* files

1. Do you remove the files, but not the folder?

2. Why do you remove the (answer to 1.)?

My templates_c folder (at unavailable location per instructions) is crammed with a lot of files, viewing some of them looks like they have stuff the system is using.

So we just delete the files (or the folder)?

I am using it with V4.02, works fine. BUT:

Sparky, I had to use the fqdn in fetch. I stored my document to call in the same folder as my terms.tpl, and could not call it without the fqdn (so in my feeble mind the path relative to either file doesn't matter. But the fqdn also works in my viewcart.tpl.

Also, I was confused for a while because my copy of clientregister.tpl only had one line:

{if $noregistration}

So that went unchanged (while the checkout process worked fine) until I viewed it in my ftp program. Even then I had to copy it inside ftp to edit locally, if I downloaded it with ftp it still only had the one line. :?:

Edited by jeds
clarification

:roll: Sparky, my tail is between my legs:

After a fair bit of experimenting I found this to work:

{include file="portal/terms.html"}

:?I am still confused why my clientregister.tpl opens in my editor with only the 1st line. If I view my local file from ftp, everything is there, but to work on it in my editor I have to copy all then past to my editor.

editor=Arachnophilia 4.0 (that's another whole thread I suppose)

ftp=CuteFTP Pro 3.3

Anyways, thanks to all contributors in this thread, especially the OP

• 1 month later...
:roll: Sparky, my tail is between my legs:

After a fair bit of experimenting I found this to work:

{include file="portal/terms.html"}

:?I am still confused why my clientregister.tpl opens in my editor with only the 1st line. If I view my local file from ftp, everything is there, but to work on it in my editor I have to copy all then past to my editor.

editor=Arachnophilia 4.0 (that's another whole thread I suppose)

ftp=CuteFTP Pro 3.3

Anyways, thanks to all contributors in this thread, especially the OP

Yes it does work in v 4.02 however this does not work

{if $gid eq "5" or $gid eq "4"}{fetch file='../tos1.html'}{else}

{fetch file='../tos.html'}{/if}

I have tried changing gid to pid but that did not work either and you can just use ../ for the home directory to point to the file :-)

if anyone does suss how to get different tos depending on what product you have let me know..

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My terms of use aren't available in text or HTML form. I am using WordPress for my main site as a CMS, and that means special problems. This is the messy way I managed to get the TOS to work with v 4.1.

I edited the orderform > viewcart.tpl. I went to the section (in v. 4.1) that says

<h4 align="center">{$companyname} Terms & Conditions</h4> and simply copied and pasted my terms and conditions (with HTML formatting) directly there. then I removed the

{include file="$tosurl"}

and replaced it with text.

Now it's all pretty and actually shows my terms in a scrollable box.

Edited by incredipete

• 3 weeks later...
My terms of use aren't available in text or HTML form. I am using WordPress for my main site as a CMS, and that means special problems. This is the messy way I managed to get the TOS to work with v 4.1.

I edited the orderform > viewcart.tpl. I went to the section (in v. 4.1) that says

<h4 align="center">{$companyname} Terms & Conditions</h4> and simply copied and pasted my terms and conditions (with HTML formatting) directly there. then I removed the

{include file="$tosurl"}

and replaced it with text.

Now it's all pretty and actually shows my terms in a scrollable box.

Hi

Can you explain better so that i can understand more

• 4 months later...

I admire all of you code people, but is there a single set of directions that work for the current version?

I learn a lot going through these posts, but also get very confused when they are written and added to over a several year period of time an is in bits and pieces.

I continually search the forums for what I think are simple basic things and requests and find it very difficult to find answers.

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to <<post it here>>. I'm looking for:

how do I do a practice purchase? if I can

how do I change the colors in the template to closer match my website?

this TOS question

Thanks

• 2 years later...
This is a good idea as many companies make you actually read/see them before you can keep going

This is old i know, but as always just as valid today as it was way back when.

You have to consider the flow of the ordering process before implenting any of this. i think the terms of service should be between the view cart and payment process. Take terms acceptance all together. Far better if i go,

order -> cart -> terms -> clientdetails -> pay

I know it throws in an extra step, but from a standpoint to the client, the important stuff to them, ordering and giving their details, are not marred by reading the terms on the same page. and look at it this way, its one click more.

I think the order form (as it stands today V5) could do with an overhaul, whmcs need to speak to the webhosts and find out what we actually want in an order form.

This is old i know, but as always just as valid today as it was way back when.

You have to consider the flow of the ordering process before implenting any of this. i think the terms of service should be between the view cart and payment process. Take terms acceptance all together. Far better if i go,

order -> cart -> terms -> clientdetails -> pay

I know it throws in an extra step, but from a standpoint to the client, the important stuff to them, ordering and giving their details, are not marred by reading the terms on the same page. and look at it this way, its one click more.

I think the order form (as it stands today V5) could do with an overhaul, whmcs need to speak to the webhosts and find out what we actually want in an order form.

This is really updated things that I love, mostly I enjoyed your post and always like to say thanks for your valuable efforts