CRONS Broke after 7.7 Upgrade

I just created a ticket but not sure how long it will take to get actioned.  A couple of weeks ago I saw the caution button in the WHMCS control panel indicating I was on PHP 7.0 so I moved the account to 7.1.  Next I saw there was an update to 7.7.  I backed up the database, did the update and everything looked good.  BTW I don't recall what version of WHMCS I was on.  I could have been on 7.5 or 7.6.  I didn't touch WHMCS for like a week after the upgrade and found some problems.  I first noticed support tickets weren't working.  The POP cron wasn't popping the emails.  Then I saw invoices overdue because they weren't charged.  Oops.  I've got a cron problem.  

I have a custom cron directory before in my root.  It appears the update to WHMCS added a new CRON file to the public_html directory but doesn't update the custom directory.  I updated the custom cron directory with the new CRON files and then updated the config in the cron directory to reflect my whmcs directory and no go.  

Here are some basic troubleshooting steps I performed.  Commented out the user account. 

Verified CRON is being invoked - Cron Status shows cron.php hasn't ran since Feb 20th

System CRON is setup in CPanel - Per configuration page in WHMCS it shows my job should be setup as:
    */5 * * * * /opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/usr/bin/php -q /home/####/WHMCS/crons/cron.php
    I have my crons setup in the root folder.  
    Configuration.php has the following line added to it for this custom directory: $crons_dir = '/home/####/WHMCS/crons';
    /home/####/WHMCS/crons/config.php has this line added  $whmcspath = '//home/####/public_html';

CRON is set in Cpanel as 5    *    *    *    *    /opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/usr/bin/php -q /home/####/WHMCS/crons/cron.php
    Attempted to Update Cron command to php -q /home/####/WHMCS/crons/cron.php it still didn't seem to help.  

I logged in via SSH to the server and ran the force cron command it didn't appear to do anything.  
[root@vps crons]# php -q cron.php all -F -vvv
[root@vps crons]#

Any ideas on what the heck is going on or what more to try?