Invoicing Frustrations

happydog5954

The WHMCS invoicing system just drives be batty at times. Today I added billable items for a client, and for each line item I tagged them as "Invoice as Normal for Due Date" and set the Next Due Date below that to 14 days from now. And then when I viewed the list it properly reflected every item tagged as "Invoice as Normal for Due Date. There is a button at the bottom  that says "Invoice Selected Items", so I checked all of the line items and clicked the button. The invoice was sent but for the Due Date it had today's date instead 14 days from now! What is the point of tagging every line item with "Invoice as Normal for Due Date" when it's always sent out with today's date? This is extremely confusing when the words "Invoice as Normal for Due Date" is clearly visible next to every line item on the same page as the "Invoice Selected Items" button. Arrghh!

Greg

• 2 weeks later...
  • WHMCS Support Manager

Hi @happydog5954,

The Invoice Selected Items button is used in two locations in the WHMCS admin area, it will override any invoice generation settings and force the next invoice to be generated immediately:

https://docs.whmcs.com/Clients:Billable_Items_Tab#Invoice_Selected_Items

https://docs.whmcs.com/Clients:Summary_Tab#Invoice_Selected_Items

If you'd like the invoice to be generated as normal for the due date and don't wish to wait for the daily automation tasks, click the "Generate Due Invoices" link on the client's Summary tab or Admin Dashboard.

Thanks for the explanation, but the one feature the invoice system is sorely missing is the ability to review those " Invoice Selected Items" invoices before they are automatically emailed. A one click approach has got me into trouble more than once. A more sensible approach would be to have the invoice page open when that button is clicked, where we can review and/or edit the invoice and then click the Send Email button. That would bring great peace of mind rather than always wondering and worrying what was just sent out to the client.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Greg has a clear point I would say. It is very confusing and inconvenient that the due date is automatically changed to today's date when clicking the "Invoice Selected Items" button, even when you specify a date in the future for the billable items. 

Thanks however John for the tip of using the "Generate Due Invoices" function on Overview page instead. I would say this is the exact functionality that I would have expected from the "Invoice Selected Items" button 🙂 

Cheers