How do I make smarty data load on kbcat page? It loads on kbarticle page just fine...

cdeese8

How do I load data on the knowledgebasecat.tpl page?

When I add {debug} to the file I can't see the specific "votes" and "useful" data being loaded. But if I add {debug} to the knowledgebasearticle.tpl I can see them being loaded. How do I get that specific smarty data / variable to pass on the cat page?

{$kbarticle.votes}
{$kbarticle.useful}

I noticed the knowledgebasecat.tpl loads the "views" .. I just wish it also loaded the votes and useful smarty data too. Any ideas? Anything you can offer would be most helpful.

Thanks,

Submit a feature request and while you're waiting use a hook and template changes to do what you need. 

<?php
use WHMCS\Database\Capsule;

add_hook('ClientAreaPageKnowledgebase', 1, function($vars)
{
	$x=0;
 	foreach($vars['kbarticles'] as $article)
	{
		$dbarticle = Capsule::table('tblknowledgebase')->where('id', '=', $article['id'])->first(); // get article from database since we aren't given votes / useful here.
       	$vars['kbarticles'][$x]['useful'] = $dbarticle->useful; // add to the array
		$x++;
	}
return $vars; 

});

Then in the template just add:

{kbarticle.useful}

where you want within the article loop.

Thank you very much @steven99 - at first, i tried to create two hook files (and dupe the code and replace the keyword) but that didn't work, so i just duped what you shared, merged it into a single hook file and it magically works. Brilliant! If you have any advise or wisdom, maybe this isn't written properly... I'm all ears. Thanks again!!

Now, on the knowledgebasecat.tpl page, I can use both {$kbarticle.votes} and {$kbarticle.useful} to get the extracted data I desired.

<?php

// written by steven99
// https://whmcs.community/topic/293372-how-do-i-make-smarty-data-load-on-kbcat-page-it-loads-on-kbarticle-page-just-fine/?do=findComment&comment=1311909

use WHMCS\Database\Capsule;

add_hook('ClientAreaPageKnowledgebase', 1, function($vars)
{
	$x=0;
	{
		$dbarticle = Capsule::table('tblknowledgebase')->where('id', '=', $article['id'])->first(); // get article from database since we aren't given useful here.
       	$vars['kbarticles'][$x]['useful'] = $dbarticle->useful; // add to the array
		$x++;
	}

$x=0;
	{
		$dbarticle = Capsule::table('tblknowledgebase')->where('id', '=', $article['id'])->first(); // get article from database since we aren't given votes here.
       	$vars['kbarticles'][$x]['votes'] = $dbarticle->votes; // add to the array
		$x++;
	}
return $vars; 

});

Edited by cdeese8
updated code

i'd suggest writing the hook as below - it's a little redundant to use two separate database queries and foreach loops, so i've merged them into just one...

<?php

# Add Votes & Useful Values To kbarticles Array Hook
# Written by brian! 

use Illuminate\Database\Capsule\Manager as Capsule;

function kbarticles_add_votes_and_useful_fields_hook($vars) {

if ($vars['templatefile'] == 'knowledgebasecat') {
		$kbarticles = $vars['kbarticles'];
		foreach($kbarticles as $key => $article) {
			$results = Capsule::table('tblknowledgebase')->where('id',$article['id'])->select('votes','useful')->first();
			$kbarticles[$key]['votes'] = $results->votes;
			$kbarticles[$key]['useful'] = $results->useful;
		}	
		return array("kbarticles" => $kbarticles);
	}
}
add_hook("ClientAreaPageKnowledgebase", 1, "kbarticles_add_votes_and_useful_fields_hook");
?>

this will still give you the $kbarticle.votes} and {$kbarticle.useful} values that you can output in your template. thanks.png

Excellent optimization and thanks for the clean hook. 😋 You know, it was nice to see Steven drop in here but when I see Brian... it's ALWAYS a treat!

Thanks dude. It works perfectly! 

If you are still reading this, and happen to know the answer, what is the difference in the hook between the two snippets?

• use Illuminate\Database\Capsule\Manager as Capsule;
  • use WHMCS\Database\Capsule;

Is one telling Smarty to dig into the database and do a global search and the other is specifically telling Smarty to do something else? Are the two hooks a combination of PHP, Smarty and SQL language? I've never seen things like "$x=0;" and "$x++;".

Thanks again!!

😎

19 hours ago, cdeese8 said:

If you are still reading this

I read everything (I think!)...

what is the difference in the hook between the two snippets? 

• use Illuminate\Database\Capsule\Manager as Capsule;
  • use WHMCS\Database\Capsule;

Is one telling Smarty to dig into the database and do a global search and the other is specifically telling Smarty to do something else? Are the two hooks a combination of PHP, Smarty and SQL language?

they're just telling the hook to get ready, we're about to query/update the database... mine is probably from how the example hooks were posted when v6 came out; steven's is how they're posted now... they're both doing the same thing and at this stage, I wouldn't worry about it too much - when i'm writing a new hook, i'm using one of a number of hook templates and it will likely contain that line that i've always used... and I don't know if that new method would only work on v7.... so when I get the chance, i'll have a play and see, but don't worry about it for now - as long as the hook can find Capsule, then the queries will work.

I've never seen things like "$x=0;" and "$x++;".

they're fine and are just incremental counter, e.g., $x++ just adds 1 to the value of $x... steven99 was using a loop with a value but no key; whereas in mine, i'm specifying to use both the value and the key, and subsequently don't need to use a separate counter variable.