move whmcs index page to website root directory

I have used a script to install whmcs. 

the script has put the program into public_html/whmcs/

My webserver produces the following 403 error when browsing http://billing.mydomain.com (which is my preferred method of accessing whmcs)

Forbidden. you dont have permission to access / on this server.

Originally, i was going to install a website in the web root and then link it to whmcs pages contained in a subdirectory. But i changed my mind and went for a subdomain install instead. Now i have this problem.

what is a good solution? (should i just delete then reinstall whmcs into the root directory or is there another option?)

Edited by adamjedgar

7 minutes ago, adamjedgar said:

I have used a script to install whmcs. 

I hope it wasn't Softaculous ? sadly, i've replied to too many threads here where their installer has corrupted the install in some way.

23 minutes ago, adamjedgar said:

My webserver doesn't allow this and produces the following 403 error when browsing http://billing.mydomain.com

Forbidden. you don't have permission to access / on this server.

have you created a subdomain from your hosting control panel, or did the Softaculous do this automatically?

24 minutes ago, adamjedgar said:

what is a good solution? (should i just delete then reinstall whmcs into the root directory or is there another option?)

if you had installed it manually, i'd have said to drag the files across to root via FTP... but if you've installed it via Softaculous, i'd personally just delete it and install it manually in the correct location.

I run a google cloud compute instance with Virtualmin Control Panel.

WHMCS 7.6 was installed using the installer script in Virtualmin.

I was hoping that WHMCS, like wordpress for example, whmcs could be configured to run in the root directory (after installing in a subdirectory) in a similar manner to how its done in Wordpress? (ie leave the main core files in the subdirectory and just have what is needed in the web root directory )

if i was to simply move everything to website root directory, what considerations must i implement?

kind regards

Adam

Hi Adam,

14 hours ago, adamjedgar said:

I was hoping that WHMCS, like wordpress for example, whmcs could be configured to run in the root directory (after installing in a subdirectory) in a similar manner to how its done in Wordpress? (ie leave the main core files in the subdirectory and just have what is needed in the web root directory )

generally speaking, nearly everything with WHMCS is considered 'core' - you could move some folders elsewhere (e.g attachments/downloads/crons etc), but virtually everything else has to be in the same place - otherwise, WHMCS won't know where to look for the files.

4 hours ago, brian! said:

Hi Adam,

generally speaking, nearly everything with WHMCS is considered 'core' - you could move some folders elsewhere (e.g attachments/downloads/crons etc), but virtually everything else has to be in the same place - otherwise, WHMCS won't know where to look for the files.

ah ok. 

one of the virtualmin guys said that i could leave all the files where they are and do it from the server side of things in virtualmin by changing the apache document root for this web hosting account to /public_html/whmcs/. However, it is so easy to remove and reinstall using the virtualmin installer script, i just did that instead.