Service ID # 1518 was just renewed --- SO!

Arf

The "Auto Release" in the "Module Settings" tab is designed for products/services where there is no remote panel or automation to link to. For example, we use it for parked domains and ssl certificates. We want to charge for the product but it auto-renews through other means. This setting is fine but if you set the Renew Action to "Add to-do list item" the result is a vaguely worded message that means nothing like this: Service ID # 1518 was just renewed. What the heck is 1518? To find out you have to go to the Utilities > Logs > Activity Logs and then search for that magic number. This is far from convenient or helpful. 

Suggestion: Include the product name in the message. 

Thank you,
Arf

40 minutes ago, Arf said:

Service ID # 1518 was just renewed. What the heck is 1518? To find out you have to go to the Utilities > Logs > Activity Logs and then search for that magic number. This is far from convenient or helpful. 

a simpler way might be to go to the Admin Area... then in the search box top right, enter the number, 1518, and it should give you the applicable service that you can then click on for more details.

R0Nhvm5.png

49 minutes ago, Arf said:

Suggestion: Include the product name in the message. 

users have been asking for that for years.

On 8/9/2018 at 7:23 PM, Arf said:

Brian, that would be a sweet solution. I tried it and got everything containing that number but the specific account where the service was renewed. Thanks for the suggestion though. 

You can also doing so:

• go to Client -> product services <> other services
  • open one of them (random)
  • edit the URL in your browser, changing the last &id=1234 with the right number

Question for @brian!

Would somehow possible to create an hook than, whener a to-do new item is created, look for "Service ID #" inside description, parse out the following number, retrieves the service name/domain and append it to the to-do item description?

I looked around in hook index but found nothing (but this does not mean that it does not exist...)

9 hours ago, Remitur said:

Would somehow possible to create an hook than, when a to-do new item is created, look for "Service ID #" inside description, parse out the following number, retrieves the service name/domain and append it to the to-do item description?

I looked around in hook index but found nothing (but this does not mean that it does not exist...)

it could probably be done via other methods - but i'll repeat what I said in another thread (which I can't find - must have been in a deleted beta f0rum), but the way WHMCS handle todos is crazy - they could easily add a service name to the output instead of the ID (literally it would take them minutes to do)... they even do it with Client IDs (who the hell knows who client ID: xxx is ?)... or they could put ID values in their own database table columns (which would make such solutions easy - but no, we have to search the string and try to figure out what is going on). 🙄

one option might me to use the To-Do list admin widget... it's possible to tweak the output to show client names and service names as mouseover tooltips (could put them in the body, but then space might become an issue)... but of course the output isn't documented, so it's a case of reacting to what I see in the dev output... I might need to see screenshots of other tbltodolist tables to fine tune the possible output.

LTZYh0Q.pngP4IZ2bh.png

if I could get the appropriate ID variables from the strings (no guarantees on that though), then I could in theory update the todo item using the API or a db update query, but I wouldn't try it unless I could get a foolproof way of always getting the correct values... which might not be possible.

i've now tweaked it to add a domain icon when a domain is mentioned in the To Do description (slightly experimental!)... it's currently not making any modifications to the database, it's purely trying to interpret the title/description strings and show icons for clients, services and domains where applicable.

however, rather than continue to hijack this thread, i've posted the file in the new thread below.