Installing WHMCS on separate server than client server... how?

Right now, I'm on a shared hosting plan as a web hosting reseller. My WHMCS is hosted on the same server that my clients' sites are on. Even though, I only have a small handful of clients, this setup is not ideal. Clients login to WHMCS for support, billing, etc, and it is also my "store front".

I'd like to migrate WHMCS to an unmanaged VPS so it is completely separate. I've been administering Linux servers for quite a few years now and am comfortable doing that. But I am relatively new to WHMCS and am unsure of obstacles I might run into. The only one that comes to my mind at the moment is how WHMCS integrates with WHM, resold/client cPanel accounts, etc... basically, all of the automation with client accounts and my clients' services on the shared hosting server. How hard would it be to make sure WHMCS automation works with the shared hosting server?

Are there any other roadblocks I'm not thinking of? What comes to your mind?

Hi @gravel

As long as WHMCS is configured to connect to the web hosting reseller plan as outlined at https://docs.whmcs.com/CPanel/WHM#Adding_a_cPanel.2FWHM_Server you shouldn't hit any issues as the server details are handled in the server settings within WHMCS, you'd need to update the cron to run on the new server and then the cron will send remote commands tro your server.