.com.au not available (p2)

2 hours ago, Dedigeeks-Sean said:

So what could the issue be now?

I saw this when answering another question yesterday... I assume it's related to the .au handover last weekend. :?:

{
        "extensions": ".asn.au,.com.au,.edu.au,.org.au,.net.au,.id.au",
        "uri": "socket://whois.audns.net.au",
        "available": "---NOT FOUND"
    },

whether there are any whois lookup limits with this, I don't know - whois.auda.ltd will work too, but is probably just a redirection to the above (or vice versa).

17 hours ago, Dedigeeks-Sean said:

---WHOIS LIMIT EXCEEDED

I thought that might happen... the old entry used to have very high limits... but that's gone now. ⚰️

I know you're already aware of this Sean (just posting for others affected), but there was a reply from Afilias in the thread below (posted last Friday - so "next week" means in the next few days)...

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/community-replies.cfm?t=2735778&p=6

All,

Bit of an update to your questions.

Port 43 / Domain Availability Check

We're working on this and a Port 43 service will be available next week. In the meantime, for web-based queries go here:

https://afilias.com.au/domainavailcheck

If you're just checking for domain availability, first do a DNS check and then if it is available confirm with a web-based WHOIS check.

Password Recovery

We're working on a replacement solution which will be email-based. We will update when that's available. In the meantime, please contact your registrar if you need to recover a password quickly.

WHOIS Check

Just to confirm, it is hosted in Australia. In a data centre in Melbourne. You can also query Port 43 on whois.auda.org.au and you will soon be able to perform web-based queries using the same address. In the meantime, for web queries use whois.auda.ltd.

-

Thanks everybody for their feedback this week. We really do value it. I'll be checking this thread and the community on a regular basis and will be sure to provide updates as they come to hand and to respond where possible.

Have a good weekend.

PG

what I would probably suggest in the short-term Sean, at least until this is fixed by Afilias,, would be to remove the 3 .au TLDs from your spotlight TLDs - because every time someone does a search on your site, you'll be doing at least 3 .au whois lookups and that will be contributing greatly to your IP getting blacklisted... I can see that it's working again for you, but i'd seriously recommend limiting the quantity of your whois searches to avoid the block being reapplied. :!:

On 7/8/2018 at 6:47 PM, brian! said:

I thought that might happen... the old entry used to have very high limits... but that's gone now. ⚰️

I know you're already aware of this Sean (just posting for others affected), but there was a reply from Afilias in the thread below (posted last Friday - so "next week" means in the next few days)...

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/community-replies.cfm?t=2735778&p=6

what I would probably suggest in the short-term Sean, at least until this is fixed by Afilias,, would be to remove the 3 .au TLDs from your spotlight TLDs - because every time someone does a search on your site, you'll be doing at least 3 .au whois lookups and that will be contributing greatly to your IP getting blacklisted... I can see that it's working again for you, but i'd seriously recommend limiting the quantity of your whois searches to avoid the block being reapplied. :!:

Thanks Brian, I will take a look at it for sure - it is working presently though we don't get a big hit on our domain searches, I think I searched the same domain 4 times throughout the day to ensure it was working and then it became restricted for like 48 hours or so. I am keeping an eye on it daily to ensure we are not being limited though it is a good suggestion you've raised to remove the other lookups to ensure we are limiting down our exposure to restriction.

Since the change over from auDA to Afilias it's been nothing but a nightmare.